Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had similar issues? It seems that my Garmin is always 10-20 meters late telling the begging and the end of a segment. This can get quite annoying, as many of my favorites end a either a red light or a stop sign at the top of a hill. Because of the inaccuracy, my GPS seems to think I'm still in the segment while I'm stopped, which results in an inaccurate results. Luckily, Strava corrects it when I upload, but it kinda defeats the point of the live segments.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
my fart app download has slown to 350 kb/s.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I have the fix, take it off your bike and throw it in the ditch. .... better yet, just shoot it!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
why do people think gps's are accurate the the nearest nanometer?
I's like saying if you kick the football between the goal posts, if it isn't exact center, then it not a goal...where as reality is so long as it goes between the posts.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
no its not, garmin's have a min accuracy of 3m, so take it as 5m, sampling every 1 sec, if your'e going 20km'h then thats about 5m/sec. so take the fact that at the end of the segment it could be thinking your 10m away from where you think you are, then the person that made the segment could have the same error.
There's a segment near me thats a cat1 climb..the road is in fact dead flat, another on a high traffic mtb trail that if you bail halfway through onto the road, it still counts you in the segment, even though you are like up to 50m off the track.
Or the times when you see someone else (or are someone else) where you're ave speed is like 1000km/h because a point got picked up in china or something. GPS'sare great things, but for the sports market, they just arn't that accurate. Perfect for using and interest sake and racing against your mates or that anonymous strava rival, but you're never going to measure an olympic marathon course with one.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Doesn't Garmin only do 3 second GPS update intervals?

I know this sounds archaic now, but if you know where a segment starts and stops, especially your "favorite" ones, how about you just go for it? Find out the results, which are probably inaccurate anyway, when you get home.

I rode recently using two different Garmin units, a Wahoo unit and an iphone, all recording from the same sensors. The segment times were all different on all of them, up to 7 seconds or so different on pretty short segments. All devices are recording you differently out there.

Do not think your device is even close to accurate, no matter what it is, it's not. The system is not accurate.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't Garmin only do 3 second GPS update intervals?

I know this sounds archaic now, but if you know where a segment starts and stops, especially your "favorite" ones, how about you just go for it? Find out the results, which are probably inaccurate anyway, when you get home.

I rode recently using two different Garmin units, a Wahoo unit and an iphone, all recording from the same sensors. The segment times were all different on all of them, up to 7 seconds or so different on pretty short segments. All devices are recording you differently out there.

Do not think your device is even close to accurate, no matter what it is, it's not. The system is not accurate.
I got the 520 with live segments in the hope I could somehow race against myself. In some longer segments that don't end at a crossroad, it's actually a lot of fun and a great motivator to push just a little harder when you see that you are on a pace 1-2 seconds better than your previous PR. It's just not that amazing for shorter segments, like some very punchy little hills around here. For those, I know that I will find out my real result when I'll be home. Still happy with my purchase, but I expected maybe too much.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
Its because your too fast dude. Slow down. Get you a Rivendell and some Birkenstock's and it will be much more accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts