Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Wifey's bike computer broke last week and she's considering going phone-based for the larger screen and GPS action. I just downloaded Strava to see what the hub-bub is about. It looks like Strava can't display real time MPH, correct? I'm not even sure this is possible based on the way the app works. Are there any phone apps that can do this or does she need a dedicated computer to get real-time speed info? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
What phone does she have?

I use Whaoo fitness app on an iPhone (first the 4 and now the 5)
With both phones to get accurate MPH readings you need a speed/cadence sensor.
the new iPhone 5 doesn't work well with the Ant+ system(needs a dongle and a 30 pin to lightning connector adapter, gets real bulky fast).

Though the wahoo fitness app will also use gps signals for location and speed.

The wahoo fitness app also uploads to strava.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not only would having the backlight, bluetooth (possibly), and GPS enabled drain the battery very fast, but one crash or even slight malfunction of the mount and there goes an 800 dollar phone. I think that a dedicated GPS unit like the Garmin is a great investment. Even the lowest model should suit your needs... (think it's the 200, and less than $250 but I have no idea it could be much cheaper).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
endomondo does, thats what i use on my android phone, biggest issue I found was that when I run a speed/cadence sensors, it picks up the speed from the sensor not the GPS, which is a boo. But if no sensor, its just plain old GPS, can display up to 4 configurable feilds on screen.
Mapmyride probably does as well, never actually used it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input so far. We looked at the Edge 500 but we felt the screen was a little small. She likes to get us lost out in the country so I think she wants a screen that gives her a big map view.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks for the input so far. We looked at the Edge 500 but we felt the screen was a little small. She likes to get us lost out in the country so I think she wants a screen that gives her a big map view.
The garmin edge 800 was on sale last month for $200 or so....sounds like that would be a good fit for the mrs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just use a Garmin edge 500 for bike duties, and pull out the smartphone and open up google maps when you are lost.
This. If you get lost, stop and pull out the phone. 99% of my riding is in areas where I know at least enough to make it back to a familiar road, so a mapping function is useless. Ride for half as long as you want to, then pull out your phone and find a way home. The edge 500 is a great value.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I use a $20 bike computer that is pretty bare bones -- speed, mileage, clock -- and track my ride data with my Android smart phone in my pocket. Running the phone with the screen on full time on the handlebars won't last very long. Plus, I don't know if there is a mount I would trust. The way I figure, while I'm riding I pretty much only need my speed, distance, and a clock. It is fun to check out elevation gain and that other stuff after the ride, though.

But there are plenty of apps that will track speed real time if you wanted to go that route. Mytracks and GPS Test are 2 that I have on my phone that would do the trick.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
The garmin edge 800 was on sale last month for $200 or so....sounds like that would be a good fit for the mrs.
I have been very happy with my edge 800. I like to go to new areas and do not wish to keep stopping and checking maps, so the turn by turn feature was really useful. Plus I am going longer distances now so more courses that I can create and just follow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mufasa, if you're just after speed info why not try Waze? It's a social media traffic app, has good mapping and even navigation. Best of all, it's free. This app was made for cars but I don't see anything wrong with using it for cycling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.