Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Strava, having just started to use it this year. One thing I've found interesting is that there are so many "segments" that people have defined. There's almost 1 segment every mile (actual YTD data: 180 segments on 218 miles). Most of the segments are on fairly unremarkable stretches of road, and many of the significant hills have multiple segments defined. I ride in a fairly rural area in northwest NJ, and I'm just wondering if this is typical for other parts of the country.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Users are free to create segments wherever they want, without much restriction. There is a message that displays when making a segment, when there is a similar segment already created, but that's about it.

The more people in the area that ride, the more likely it will be to have segments. There aren't many people that ride in my area compared to other parts of the country, but there are multiple overlapping segments on popular roads or climbs.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Once you click the "Hide" button for a segment you never have to see it again.

There's very few segments I pay any attention to, most are junk.

On many of the climbs, the people who make the segments aren't even smart enough to start and stop the segment in the correct places. They're unaware that you have to zoom in the map to get fine adjustment of the stop and start points. What good is a climb segment that ends halfway down the other side?

If you think your area is bad, try riding on Zwift and check out all of those segments.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's a bit ridiculous around here as well. There are segments on every mile of several loops.

One thing I've noticed is that some people are very careless when setting up a segment. Some of the ones around here end just past a stop light which renders the whole thing pointless. One heavily traveled and popular segment was originally set up to annoyingly end right in the middle of an intersection with a light, if it had been set up to end fifty feet sooner it would be a good segment. Please, I beg of you: pick beginning and end points carefully if you really must define a new segment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's a bit ridiculous around here as well. There are segments on every mile of several loops.

One thing I've noticed is that some people are very careless when setting up a segment. Some of the ones around here end just past a stop light which renders the whole thing pointless. One heavily traveled and popular segment was originally set up to annoyingly end right in the middle of an intersection with a light, if it had been set up to end fifty feet sooner it would be a good segment. Please, I beg of you: pick beginning and end points carefully if you really must define a new segment.
Good news is you can make you own segment that ends 50 fifty feet before that intersection:D

I think a lot of segments come to fruition when some squid creates a segment out of a random stretch of road, only because he had a 40mph tailwind, and was doing 32mph without much effort.

If you are not strong enough to take it today, wait for better winds tomorrow.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I make the end of segments right at the stop sign so I can dominate with my Disc Brakes!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think there are some Strava users that purposely end climbing segments 100 yards past the top of the hill. Most hot group rides, where everyone races up the hill, will usually regroup at the top - with the Strava clock still ticking away. This gives the segment creator an advantage over many other riders on the segment. I think the same applies to segments that include stop signs and red lights. People do that on purpose. With regard to the random segments that make no logical sense, my theory is that people look at their uploaded speed graph and just create a segment where they had their fastest speed, without regard to the terrain or traffic lights, etc.

When I finish a 50 mile ride and see 100 segments, they become worthless. It's much more meaningful to set up your own private segments and use them as benchmarks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.