Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It rained from the get go, the route markings were very difficult to see. It rained so much that you could not wear glasses because they would fog up and become useless. Still it was challenging and fun and its good to be warm again.

· Old Tunnel Road
83 Posts
I did the metric and it was a rainfest as you describe. The Apple/Berry Farm and Russian Rest stops were fun but the College and High School Starting and Ending points were not too pleasant in the rain.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
SNEEZEGUARD said:
It rained from the get go, the route markings were very difficult to see. It rained so much that you could not wear glasses because they would fog up and become useless. Still it was challenging and fun and its good to be warm again.
Didn't you check the weather??? Everyone I knew who was doing it stayed home. Good for you for still doing it! Now you have a good war story to tell. I'll bet the wind sucked, too.

I've done this ride in the past about 5-6 times, and did at least 3 different routes. What was the route this year?

· Registered
5,358 Posts
We got a late start, my friend's chain kept seizing up, and I had two flats. The farm roads with a layer of mud on them meant no drafting unless you wanted a mud shower. Fortunately I had the route memorized and know the area well enough to navigate the new route without the sheet, which was a soggy mess in my pocket. Even with all the issues and rain it was a fun ride and a good exercise in staying cheerful in the face of adversity. And it was better than staying home and moping indoors.

Kudos go to the sag crews, who got quite a workout.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
This year it went up san jose-soquel, then back down sj-soquel instead of down eureka canyon. The start was at cabrillio instead of at the high school, since the high school was short on parking due to construction.

I knew exactly what the weather was and went anyhow just because I'm stubborn and was riding with equally stubborn friends. I was suprised at the number of people who showed, many more than I expected.

Dude next to me in the parking lot asked if there were any difficult climbs, and I told him no, forgetting the one steep pitch at the top of whichamcallit canyon rd before the lunch stop... I'm sure he either thinks I'm completely superhuman or a jerk after seeing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.