Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice about where to get advice.

I recently suffered a stress fracture on the outside portion of the ball of my left foot. My feet turn out quite a bit (at the hips) and I walk and run across my foot, from the inside of the heel to the outside of the ball. When I bike, it seems that I put a lot of pressure on that area, hence a stress fracture.

The fracture seems healed now but I was a big pain, literally and figuratively. On the advice of my podiatrist I started using LeWedges on my left foot to angle the foot and try to take some pressue of the outside. Now I'm getting funny twinges in my knee.

Here's my question: Whom do I turn to with this issue? I don't know if my LBS knows enough about fitting a bike to my odd body. On the other hand, I don't think my podiatrist knows enough about biking. He's a runner, not a cyclist. Are there people out there who know both bike fit and body mechanics and if there are, how do I find them? I have a Softride frame that I want to build up but I'm afraid of starting until I get some good fit advice.

Thanks

B.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
LeWedge..

I'm not absolutely positive, but if you click on the LeWedge website they list trained professionals who can set up the LeWedges for you. Some of them are Podiatrists. I am no one to be giving medical advice, but I went through a whole bout of foot injuries back in my running days, one which was a stress fracture to my heel bone. You might also do very well locating a podiatrist who can make you a set of othotics specifically made for cycling. I know that knees don't like changes, that is what I have read about any change you make relating to your saddle or pedal set-up. Running and walking require different othotics as they are weight bearing. You need to seek out someone who is knowledgable about cycling injuries. Maybe a local bike club can help you locate one.

A good book to have laying around is Bicycling Medicine, by Arnie Baker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts