Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so picked up a used carbon seatpost on ebay and there's a 1cm vertical indentation on the back of the post... looks like a classic crimp from over torquing at the seatpost clamp. but i can't really tell if there is an actual crack or if its just the resin/laminate that is damaged/ crimped. there are no fibers exposed but you can see and feel the indentation clearly. the rest of the post is spotless.

now i've heard all the horrors stories about failed seatposts but is there a way to stress test the part to see if its still useable. i couldn't think of anything other that throwing the post over my chin-up bar at the point where the indentation is and doing a couple chin ups. i weigh about 145 lbs... now i'm no engineer or materials expert, but i imagine the load or force from doing that would typically be more than what you would encounter with just your ass on the saddle going over any bumps on the road. yes/no? post held up fine. oh, and i also did the coin tap test and the sound seemed consistent throughout. thoughts or ideas. i already bought a new seatpost (paranoid) but i thought i might be able to use this one on another bike that i use for lower speed rides.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
as far as i know, the only way to test composite parts is to destruction. anyone else have experience w/ this?
if i bought a post off ebay and it was damaged... and the flaw wasn't mentioned in the description... i'd send it back immediately.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts