Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently my high school had an events called "agora days." In agora days, what we did was the students taught their own classes, and if an alumni or parent wanted to apply to teach a class, they could. you could teach about whatever you were interested in. One of the classes that i signed up for was one taught by a professor in sports physiology about sports nutrition. on the first day we covered stretching, and its affects, and it was kind of interesting: stretching immediately before an event actually causes you to be able to exert about 10% less energy, as well as lowering vertical jump around 5%, et cetera.
also, looking at army recruits, with 3400 recruits or something, they did a study on recruits who did lower body stretches, and recruits who did upper body stretches, and the incidence of injuries. The upper body recruits had 3% get injuries, the lower had 4.5% get injuries. there were a couple other studies like this, with differences of around 1-2.5% between groups, with no stretching causing less injury sometimes, stretching causing less sometimes; it has no effect.
just thought i might wanna share you with that guys.
i did a quick google search and came up with this site to show you guys.
the one thing that the professor really emphasized was that the best thing you could do was sport specific warmups before an event, and NOT stretching before it, that way your muscles are warm. stretching doesnt warm up your muscles and warming em up is what keeps you safe.
stretching after workouts does not stop onset of soreness, unless you are already injured. stretching after a workout does however improve flexibility for the next workout, and stretching outside of workout is good for you, just not beforehand because it lowers the quality of the workout.

http://www.celticstorm.net/Strength&Conditioning.htm

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for a good post.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
damn lies and statistics

estone2 said:
stretching immediately before an event actually causes you to be able to exert about 10% less energy[/url]
I would be EXTREMELY suspiscious of this number. I'm guessing that this was a very specific set of circumstances, where very large apples were compared with very small oranges. This is NOT a generally accurate statement.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Great post. I concur. Recent research shows stretching before exercises does not help prevent injuries, but warming up does. Stetching after exercise does increase flexibility.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
When we stretch, we're promoting micro-tearing in the connective tissue so that it re-builds longer and more supple.

I do not stretch before an event, unless I have a bothersome issue (IT band). After an event, you are very tender and can risk a big tear if you stretch.

So, I stretch between workouts, and very lightly. No bouncing. Push until it hurts and then back off.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
estone2 said:
also, looking at army recruits, with 3400 recruits or something, they did a study on recruits who did lower body stretches, and recruits who did upper body stretches, and the incidence of injuries. The upper body recruits had 3% get injuries, the lower had 4.5% get injuries. there were a couple other studies like this, with differences of around 1-2.5% between groups, with no stretching causing less injury sometimes, stretching causing less sometimes; it has no effect.
just thought i might wanna share you with that guys.
i did a quick google search and came up with this site to show you guys.
the one thing that the professor really emphasized was that the best thing you could do was sport specific warmups before an event, and NOT stretching before it, that way your muscles are warm. stretching doesnt warm up your muscles and warming em up is what keeps you safe.
stretching after workouts does not stop onset of soreness, unless you are already injured. stretching after a workout does however improve flexibility for the next workout, and stretching outside of workout is good for you, just not beforehand because it lowers the quality of the workout.

http://www.celticstorm.net/Strength&Conditioning.htm
I just left the Army after 8 years of service and have a hard time with these results. The time set aside before exercising in the military is not only limited to stretching. A proper "Warm Up" as outlined by the Army is as follows. First, a soldier is instructed to run in place, do jumping jacks, or some other form of aerobics for about 2 minutes to warm up muscles and get the blood flowing. Next, the soldier is instructed to perform various ligament rotations to lubricate the joints. Finally, the soldiers will begin the stretching (non-bouncing) portion of the warm-up. From personal experience and from watching many soldiers, a lack of properly warming up (all that I mentioned above) have caused more than some soldiers to cramp early, tear, and strain muscles. Proper "Physical Fitness" not only encompasses Cardio Respiratory (CR) Endurance, Muscular Strength and Muscular Endurance. The last factor in being physically fit is having Flexibiity (gained through proper stretching). A main factor in stretching is that it helps prevent injury by allowing the persons body to have a fuller range of motion while performing. Having a higher percentage of freedom of movement in the body during exercise could only add to your success. I doubt that the military has failed to research this issue, seeing as how the health of the soldier (the military's most valued asset, if you will) is in question here. They Army even has a physical fitness school that soldiers attend to become instructors with a curriculum designed and tested by many doctors in this area. With the many years of military tradition and success, I'm sure they have gotten it right...I won't get in to the reasoning behind the "Cool Down" here...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts