Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
How "off road" ?...

littletommy2 said:
Hello,

I'm sure you'll are tiered of newbie questions, but here's one more for ya'll. I'm rideing in a bike tour that is only 150 miles o couple months from now. The problem is I don't have a bike. Now I'm highly considering getting a road bike that is fitting for a little off roading. I don't want to invest in something that is restricted to only nicely paved roads. From what I hear you can't go off a paved course what-so-ever with a road bike. So if you guys don;t mind giving a little feed back, what's your opinions? Road bike or cyclcross?
If your looking at a well maintained non-paved bike path, a road bike with 25 or 28 tires would be fine. Just make sure the frame you get has room for a little wider tire.

For less maintained paths or light single track, a cyclocross bike would be (and is) my choice. A cyclocross (CX) bike is a road style frame with more room between the stays, fork and brakes for wider tires. One set of tires for the road and another in the 30 to 38 range for the trails. Having an extra set of wheels with the tires mounted makes it even handier. I use this bike for 95% of my riding, both on and off road.

That said, my first bike was a $308 hybrid and it was the best biking decision I ever made. I used it on everything from a century on the road to some pretty serious single track until I found what I wanted to do.

Hope this helps,
TF

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
And if a CX, get a triple...

There's no valid reason not to and you will appreciate the gearing. Unless your going to race CX, you don't need the closer true CX front end (i.e. 48-39) and, most of all, don't fall for the latest fashion statement with a compact crankset (50-34). A triple works just fine and gives you the full range of gearing.

TF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.