Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing the cassette on my new set of Neuvation wheeels and I guess thet I tried to get the lock ring too tight and stripped out the cassette body. My question is that I have an old Ksyrium wheel that is no good due to a bent rim, but the hub is still good. Would the Shimmano cassette off of that be compatible with the Neuvation wheel?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
probably not...

Unless the hub is made by mavic it certainly wouldn't be interchangeable. Seems like the wise thing to do is call the manufacturer and get a replacement, plus a torque wrench.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ditto on the torque wrench!

I finally accumulated the tools to put cassette lockrings on with mine, rather than "guesstimate" it with a crescent wrench. 40nM is quite an eye-opener compared to what I was using...

D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took my wheel into a bike shop today and it turned out the cassette body was not stripped after all :) . The mechanic explained to me that not all Shimano bodys require the same spacer for a 10 speed cassette and the one I was using was way too thick. The lock ring was not getting enough thread to bite into. They gave me the correct spacer and even installed the cassette for me at no charge. ( Thanks Tri Sport! ). Thanks for the advice to purchase a torque wrench , even though all this turned out ok, it makes me see the need for one if I plan on doing my own repairs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts