Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...son just called, friend gave him a nice Trek road bike...not sure what model, but it is NOT high end. Both pedal spindles are stripped as are the threads in the cranks...A case of someone trying to put the left in the right...
Rather than buying him a whole new crankset...what is the fix for this?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
Both are? Did someone not learn their mistake the first time? :)

Have you called up the LBS to see if they have a crank that'll work laying in a parts bin? The pedals are probably toast-cranks if you wanted to sink the effort into you could probably heli-coil.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yup, a thread insert like the Heli-coil. I'd suggest some used cranks on that auction site also. That's a tough lesson, since it would have not even gone in straight with the L-R switched. Forcing them to thread in that situation...:eek6:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Assuming the LBS has the requisite taps and helicoil inserts (the 9/16" LH is rare and wasn't even offered until I persuaded them to make them with a decent order some years back) the cost of taping and inserting coils in both crank arms should be less than a new mid-level crankset, so the coil/replace decision depends on the value of the crankset involved.

As far as the pedals go, have someone check the threads. There's a decent chance that they're actually OK since a steel spindle should survive cross threading into an alloy crank arm. If the threads are damaged beyond salvage with a triangular file, consider the pedals toast.

·
Rub it............
3,929 Posts
To add onto FB, if there isn't enough material left in the crank arm, then a heli-coil will not work at all. I've seen this before.

Just locate yourself a nice mid-level crank off of Ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.