Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, this is a new one for me after riding for a couple years. I seem to have a stripped
insert for a water bottle cage on my new single speed...no big issue other than it rattles a bit at speed.
what does it take to replace? I'm sure it requires a special tool and a cheap part...

·
Registered
180 Posts
bahueh said:
hey, this is a new one for me after riding for a couple years. I seem to have a stripped
insert for a water bottle cage on my new single speed...no big issue other than it rattles a bit at speed.
what does it take to replace? I'm sure it requires a special tool and a cheap part...
Retap it to a larger size and use a larger bolt. If you are uncomfortable doing that, have a shop do it for you. They shouldn't charge more than a few bucks to do it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
I'd call around to shops to be sure they have the tool.
A QR hub also works well. Put a 10mm axle spacer on one end of the hub, covereing the exposed axle, and pass a QR though the hub from the other side. After (carefully!) removing the old rivet, position the new rivet and thread the QR into it. The 10mm spacer should be resting on the outside of the bottleboss on the frame. Simply throw the QR lever and the rivet will be pulled into the frame.

Badda bing.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Alternate to tap

gmcastil said:
Retap it to a larger size and use a larger bolt. If you are uncomfortable doing that, have a shop do it for you. They shouldn't charge more than a few bucks to do it.
You can purchase Helicoil thread inserts. They are spiral in shape. They will screw in place and they can be removed also. Depending on the condition of the damaged threads in place they really work. You don't need to remove any metal from your bike.
They have alot of industrial applications.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Road cyclist said:
You can purchase Helicoil thread inserts. They are spiral in shape. They will screw in place and they can be removed also. Depending on the condition of the damaged threads in place they really work. You don't need to remove any metal from your bike.
They have alot of industrial applications.
I've never heard of a Helicoil that goes into the old threads. The ones I know all require you to drill and re-tap the old hole to a larger one, then when you put the helicoil in, it reduces it all back down to the original size. They work great, and in aluminum they are somewhat stronger than the original threads. You are removing metal, possibly too much for the braze-on. You could Helicoil it down a thread size, maybe.

Also, Helicoil kits aren't exactly cheap--they go about $30 for one size installation kit, and you need a different installation kit for each size. The inserts are pretty cheap once you have the installer, though.

·
Banned
653 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
I've never heard of a Helicoil that goes into the old threads. The ones I know all require you to drill and re-tap the old hole to a larger one, then when you put the helicoil in, it reduces it all back down to the original size. They work great, and in aluminum they are somewhat stronger than the original threads. You are removing metal, possibly too much for the braze-on. You could Helicoil it down a thread size, maybe.

Also, Helicoil kits aren't exactly cheap--they go about $30 for one size installation kit, and you need a different installation kit for each size. The inserts are pretty cheap once you have the installer, though.
Yes, I think you are correct. Its been a long time since I used them.
Here is a cheaper way:
I have re-tapped stripped threads and screwed/Locited a larger fastener in its place.
Then I have cut the fastener down to the base of the threaded hole and drilled/tapped
through the bigger screw with a smaller thread to use the original screw size again.
One hint here, don't fully tap the hole for the bigger fastener, force/torque it in place for more strength.

·
Registered
255 Posts
even cheaper is to just use a normal rivet. I used them to fix the struts of my pannier that has a child seat on it, on to the "rear forks" of my hybrid(total cost 70 cents as I had a rivet gun, but your LBS should do it for not much).They are cheap and can be removed by drilling them out if need be. Just make sure you have the right diameter (the rivet should just fit in the hole)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts