Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
IndyFab girl
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it harder to strip chrome from a frame than paint? If I get a Pista from my friend, I want to have it re-painted, don't care for all that chrome. I was wondering if there would be an upcharge from the shop to have the chrome removed before painting.

I emailed the shop, but haven't received a response yet, so I thought I'd try here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The two most common ways of stripping chrome are alkaline electrostrip, used mostly for steel alloys, and hydrochloric acid, mostly used for copper alloys, nickel alloys and most stainless steels. An acid stripper can also be used if you're careful not to damage the metal under the chrome.

All of it is nasty stuff, and your painter may very well use bead blasting when removing paint rather than a chemical stripper; I'm not sure if bead blasting works with chrome.

If it were me--not that you're asking--I'd leave the frame chromed and deck that bike out with ALL silver parts: hubs, rims, bar, stem, post, even one of those silver WTB saddles. Make it a gleamin' demon!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you thoroughly scuff the chrome it can be painted over. But it may need to be done in two stages depending on the quality of the chrome.
The first stage would be harsh, like 80 grit. The second stage is fine, like 250 grit.
Use your eyes and hands and remember your not stripping your scuffing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts