Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, in an earlier post I had mentioned that I may trade my mountain bike for a Surly LHT and a few comments were made that that my a bit much for my needs. I think I have to agree since it would be used mainly for commuting and possibly for light touring so this leads me to my next idea.

I have an 07 Madone that has been retired. It has Ultegra/Dura Ace components that I am thinking about taking apart and putting the components on a Soma Cross Check frame for a commuting/light touring bike. This way I can keep the mountain bike for just in case and I will have a commuter. Will this work or is it a stupid idea and not possible?

Thanks in advance
Jim

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
It's a fine idea. I sacrificed my road bike to build my Double Cross. You'll need new brakes, a new stem (to accommodate geometry changes), and probably a new headset. Everything else would just be things you change as you get a feel for how you're riding (Cranks/chainrings, cassette, derailleurs, etc.).

·
Registered
822 Posts
no reason it won't work, I did a similar thing (parts from a fuji team) and put many of the components on an old trek hybrid frame to make a 'monster cross' bike.
As you likely know, you may need to change cables/housing & the front derailleur isn't likely to fit on the surly.
Surprisingly, the easton vista wheelset from that bike has held up very well to commuting & light cross duties.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, all this is great to know because now I will have a bike for all occasions... I have to get to ordering a frame now....

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
what's a soma cross check? I know soma ganked a lot of their ideas fromsurly, but a name too? will work if parts are compatible, diameters, threadings, mountings, etc.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
FatTireFred said:
what's a soma cross check? I know soma ganked a lot of their ideas fromsurly, but a name too? will work if parts are compatible, diameters, threadings, mountings, etc.
The Soma is probably a Double Cross. Pretty decent frame. I've had mine almost since its inception. Makes a great "fast" commuter, dirt roader and single tracker. Just like my Cross Check used to (now relegated to upright townie).

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
I did this with a Surly X-check, turned out to be the nicest x-check I've ever seen. DA 10 speed, Mavic Kryserium SL's, etc.

Other parts that can confuse the swap are the BB, seatpost and stem (due to different TT lengths). Overall, not that many parts to replace if needed, plus you have the old parts to sell and recoup costs..

Plum

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
empty_set said:
The Soma is probably a Double Cross. Pretty decent frame. I've had mine almost since its inception. Makes a great "fast" commuter, dirt roader and single tracker. Just like my Cross Check used to (now relegated to upright townie).
Double cross, that's what I meant and thanks for that mini review. For what I am looking for that sounds like just what I am looking for!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts