Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not that which some old tymers might remember being referred to as a Cerebral Vascular Accident, but to your ego.

It's hard to quantify or qualify as the available data is limited and to a degree, open to interpretation, but in this life, you take your strokes when and where ya gets 'em. Shur, you gets some mini strokes from your cycling buds... after a good pull... after dropping the group on a climb... after outsprinting the pack past that automated speed radar detector. But, what about the general public? Some are sublime, perhaps even a flawed intepretation of an event or sequence of events. Others may be a tad less obtuse making for a more accurate interpretation. Still a small percentage are about as direct and on target as a laser beam.

So, I'm heading home from my ride this morning and decided, as I sometimes do, to stop by a local market to pick up a handful of goods. I've become accustomed to popping into establishments embelished in my lycra spandex regalia without a hint of self consciousness or embarassment. Indeed, I see it as a subtle form of cycling advocacy in that it places in the public's mind, the thought that there is more to that two wheel'd kidtoy thingy often referred to as "biking" than a couple laps round the block or playground shenannigans. I'm sure for every comment I hear, or think I hear... every eye I catch that, upon discovery, quickly glances away, that there are others... pro and con. But, this is about the strokes. "Did you get those legs from cycling?" she said.

It's not the first time I've heard such. Most often, it comes from a "mature" woman (one who is arguably more comfortable with her own ego) who is more likely to speak her mind than whisper and giggle like skool gurlz at the mall gossiping about which boy looks cuter with pants off the ass Hillfiger undies showing. Most often, it appears to come from a genuine "admiration" of form, function and how it came to be than overt sexual inuendo. Most often, it's followed by a half joking, "That looks like good exercise. I need to get into that" (again, just a hint of inuendo even in a mind as dirty as mine).

Still, the remarks kinda catch me a tad off guard. After all, I'm just out doing the do... not trying to use skin tight revealing clothing as a pickup! I hesitate for a second, and then respond appropriately. "Well, I do ride a lot. Thanks!" Stroke.

It reminded me of some of my other stroke moments associated with the bike... and lycra (evidently, Clark Kent without them... Superman with).

1: I pass a small peloton of young wemmin on a local trail. I hear someone say "umm, umm, ummm." Stroke.
2: I pass another peloton of young wemmin on the trail. I hear, "haaaaaave mercy". Stroke.
3: I'm at another store and a woman actually comes by and says "you have some beautiful legz." Stroke.
4: Yet another market and as the woman walks by, she stops and stares for just a moment and all I hear is.. "Mmmm" followed by a bit of a pause, then "mmmmm!" Her eyes never go above waist level which was just a tad disconcerting (I guess I kinda know how some women feel when they make the comment "Hey, I'm up here!"). Stroke.
5: Riding through a park with a bud, one of the few times the younguns took obvious interest... teen gurlz giggle... the one boy in the group gives out a big "Haaaaey!" (I'm not homophobic and take it as a compliment as opposed to the usual "beer bottle just missing your head as thrown from that pickup truck with the howling yokels inside"). Stroke.

Ya shur, as mentioned above, there are prolly many more of which I was unaware. There are prolly a few that were slams (giggles can go either way). There might have been a couple that were misinterpreted (none of the above). Some wemmin seemed more interested in the bike than me (I should marry one of them). After all, at my age, I'm not considered "God's Gift" and my age demographic is rapidly shrinking (insert Seinfeld reference here). I can tell ya that even though my house was only a couple blocks from that store, the stroke caused me to get back on the bike and exit the vacinity in excess of 25 MPH (maybe a lot of lonely wemmin hang out around the markets).

I'm not talking about aggressively looking for relationships. I'm not talking about bumping fuglies, just those little semi flirtatious "wow, more than Mom likes me... I don't have to tie a steak around my neck to get the dog to play with me" moments. What were your strokes (I know U wemmin get 'em too)?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Aside from the folks I ride with, practically none. Usually I get something like, "Did you see that old fart checking us out? That's disgusting!" ;-)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I live in a 4 story apartment complex which has elevators in the main lobby like most high rise buidlings; girls work the desks downstairs in the lobby for concierge, sales, service to rooms, etc... they all know the residents well and we all joke around as we are all mid 20s to mid 30s and mostly single.

So the other day I get in the elevator and pretty blond who works down there follows. I ask what floor and press 3 button for her then feel a touch!! Turn around and says "There is a padding in there for the bike huh?" as she continues to pinch my a$$ and smile. Stroke!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Usually I get something like, "Did you see that old fart checking us out? That's disgusting!"
It's always a disturbing moment that happens to a lot of guys...and it happens...but you never really know when... but it happens...when you go from being "that cute, flirty young guy"... to "that creepy, leering old guy".

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Dajianshan said:
It's always a disturbing moment that happens to a lot of guys...and it happens...but you never really know when... but it happens...when you go from being "that cute, flirty young guy"... to "that creepy, leering old guy".
:thumbsup: I'm there! :cryin:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Usually I get something like, "Did you see that old fart checking us out? That's disgusting!"
Alas, we old farts have the benefits of at least having had the young and firm in our distant past as well as the knowledge that all that sun and gravity will eventually take it's toll on that smooth and pert. Within 20 years, they'll be begging for any fart, young or old to give them a second glance!

It'll take them younguns a bit of time to figure out that they're currently dating "One Pump Chump"... and that it ain't only the bike that we olduns can ride all day.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Mostly I get comments on my farmers tan. And weird glances because I shave my legs. On the average, people have no clue what 'riding a road bike' is....Quite a few have never heard of The Tour De France...it's a wee small world...we are a minority..that's why whenever I see another cyclist, no matter what they are riding, I always wave..

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I'm in my 40s. That doesn't happen to me either, even though I secretly think I look okay. Back in my 20s, I went to a party at the house of a coworker. His wife made a nice comment about my arse. At the time, it was from skiing 6 days a week. Stroke.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...ok... technically, I guess this comes under the heading of a stroke... but somethin' just didn't... feel right...

Riding downtown trying to hook up with a bunch for a Saturday ride, I was honkin' along pretty well on a major drag. As I made the intersection, I could hear traffic coming up from behind... I signal, make a sweeping left hand turn at speed and proceed up a slight incline (bridge) before preparing to hang a right. Suddenly, I hear a burley man's voice from a car overtaking on my right... ... those are some big gams there muscle juice...

So, was it a compliment buried in a brainfart of seeking the right words?

A sleazy attempt at a pickup?

A sign that I am yet again falling behind the times cuz I gotz almost no idea of what muscle juice is?

I looked.. laughed a bit, then took solice in the fact that my turn came up!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The one I remeber most recently

Was this spring, riding through a really small town. 2 teenage girls sitting out on the porch of a house as I rode by. One all dressed up like a goth queen with a bright green derby on her head and the other just tagging along with her. Goth raises a fist as I ride by and screams out "take it all off!" Little did she know she just asked grandpa to get neeked, so I might still have some of it goin' on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.