Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all.

I've seen quite a few carbon-fiber water bottle cages on various sites. They seem really minimalistic, do some have longevity problems.

Are there ones that are prefered, or ones to stay away from if I want to get a long life out of them?

Thanks!
Paul

· Registered
2,771 Posts
I've got the same question...

the campy cage is alright and all but i've got lots of diffrent bottles and what do i tell a volunteer in a feed zone? "Campy bottle please?"

how about some cages that aren't bottle specific

strong for the abuse of a weighted bottle bouncing around on potholes. Holds the bottle well enough it won't go flying into the peloton when i hit those potholes.

· Registered
448 Posts
I ended up...

I ended up going with the Profile KK-2 Karbon lite cage. They are not bottle specific. One cage came in at 21 grams and the other 20 grams. I do not know how "light weight" you want, but these are pretty good and do a fine job holding bottles over potholes, train tracks, etc. Plus, I like the look of this particular cage compared to a number of different offerings out there.

· Registered
2,092 Posts
The Time carbon cage is very strong. After having a minimalistic ultra-lightweight cages disintegrate/self-destruct I went with these. Few grams heavier but they seem as strong as any other cage out there.

· Registered
528 Posts
I am using 2 carbon cages from performance bike.I got them when they were on sale for around $15 and weighed 26gr each.I didn't want to spend more than that for a cage. After few 20 rides or so both of them broke at same spot where they hold the bottom of the bottle. I took them off and drilled a hole near the bottom of the cage and put in a small screw so that screw is holding the bottle now. They are still holding on.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
Paul LI said:
hey all.

I've seen quite a few carbon-fiber water bottle cages on various sites. They seem really minimalistic, do some have longevity problems.

Are there ones that are prefered, or ones to stay away from if I want to get a long life out of them?

Thanks!
Paul
Arundels and Reynolds hold the bottles firmly and are very durable. they aren't the lightest, though - both are around 35g.

· Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
stoked said:
I am using 2 carbon cages from performance bike.I got them when they were on sale for around $15 and weighed 26gr each.I didn't want to spend more than that for a cage. After few 20 rides or so both of them broke at same spot where they hold the bottom of the bottle. I took them off and drilled a hole near the bottom of the cage and put in a small screw so that screw is holding the bottle now. They are still holding on.
I broke a set of those performance cages too! They were the worse. I had great luck with the Token 16 gram cages, available on Ebay and with the BTP 10 gram gaces available from wisecyclebuys.com

· Fett
22 Posts
I have used the BTP cages from Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com for a couple of years now and the only bottle I have ever lost was in a mountain bike race when the bike was upside down on top of me and I had bigger problems at that point. They are a true 13 grams and work very well

· C 1/5
613 Posts
i guess i can only tell you which ones i would avoid: USE cages, very light but I had two that broke from riding on rough roads while holding full bottles; and RAVX, also light however I broke it while putting a bottle in. I just gave up and went with TACX cages. Still look really good, strong, and fairly light.

· Registered
114 Posts
CF bottle cages? Why bother? You can get yourself a glass-reinforced, injection molded cage like the newest Profile Design Stryke Kage that are within a few grams of "reliable" weight CF cages but only cost ~$8 compared to the overpriced $40 and up CF cages.

http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/hydration/stryke.html

They're plenty strong and secure and even come in a couple of colors. Plus, you can still say that they're made from a "high tech composite"...since they are :thumbsup:

Just my 2 pesos.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
Paul LI said:
hey all.

Thanks!
Paul
Zipp CF cages (muy similar to the Reynolds flavor) have worked for moi: hold bottle tight and seem durable. 55g for 2 cages and all the bolts.

· Registered
116 Posts
I tried Campy cages and they are now on my second bike. My current cage is the Carbon Bontrager Bat cages.

So far, the best cage I have tried. Very secure on all my bottles. I broke the bottom tab on the Campy's when putting in a somewhat full water bottle too hard.

ScubaD

· Registered
635 Posts
tanhalt said:
CF bottle cages? Why bother? You can get yourself a glass-reinforced, injection molded cage like the newest Profile Design Stryke Kage that are within a few grams of "reliable" weight CF cages but only cost ~$8 compared to the overpriced $40 and up CF cages.

http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/hydration/stryke.html

They're plenty strong and secure and even come in a couple of colors. Plus, you can still say that they're made from a "high tech composite"...since they are :thumbsup:

Just my 2 pesos.
have you used them or can anyone vouch for them? They seem like a good cost/weight option....but will they hold up? or will they hold up to cf cages? at 8 bucks a pop If they last over 2 years thats still pretty darn good for the money, imo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.