Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Very nice... I love my Ti Strong SS. Mine is track ends/cantis/130 rear spacing but your ebb/disc/135 spacing (I'm assuming) is a great idea which I have thought about in hindsight. Fixing the locations of the rear of the bike will make brake adjustment/ fender mounting/ tire changes easier and allows you to run 26" MTB tires if/when you want. A couple of questions though... Did you talk to Carl about a chainstay mounted disc in the rear? I ask because I'm wondering if the position of the rear fender/rack mount on the disc side will create interference between a fender stay and the disc caliper? Gunnar has a slick looking rear dropout that I've seen to remedy this potential problem. Or move the fender mount up the seatstay to clear the caliper? I love the curved rear stays! Keep us posted on the build and enjoy your new bike!

singlecross

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I have thought about ebb's as well... if you are very (VERY) sensitive/picky about your fit, I would think you would want to fix the bb position. otherwise, when you make big changes in gearing, from one ecc position to it's opposite for example, there may be slight changes to bb drop/height and/or fore/aft position... which, again if you are super picky, might lead you to want to change your saddle/bar positions. it's less of an issue with mtbs where discs (and ebbs) are more prevalent since your riding position is not as static

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
FatTireFred said:
I have thought about ebb's as well... if you are very (VERY) sensitive/picky about your fit, I would think you would want to fix the bb position. otherwise, when you make big changes in gearing, from one ecc position to it's opposite for example, there may be slight changes to bb drop/height and/or fore/aft position... which, again if you are super picky, might lead you to want to change your saddle/bar positions. it's less of an issue with mtbs where discs (and ebbs) are more prevalent since your riding position is not as static
Good point. Although once you have your gearing dialed in I would think that the ebb adjustment would be quite small. Just enough to tension the chain and then adjust for chain stretch/wear. I've never ridden with or adjusted an ebb though so I don't know. I am ebb curious as well...

singlecross

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
singlecross said:
I'm wondering if the position of the rear fender/rack mount on the disc side will create interference between a fender stay and the disc caliper? Gunnar has a slick looking rear dropout that I've seen to remedy this potential problem. Or move the fender mount up the seatstay to clear the caliper? I love the curved rear stays! Keep us posted on the build and enjoy your new bike!

singlecross
Singlecross, good point about the fender mount. When/if I run fenders will be a good time to find out. I asked for them cause you never know what may arise in the future and with the rainy season here in Japan etc. It will be a case of making fenders or racks fit the bike and the brake caliper clearance. Gunnar does do it nice hanging them out the back like that. Your set up on yours is very nice.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FatTireFred said:
That was something Carl asked me about but I'm not that sensitive. I find it funny when people talk about moving their seat 5mm aft or such. I move my butt more than that everytime I take weight off the seat going over a bump. Maybe it is a very personal thing but I really couldn't tell if my BB had moved forward 3 or 5 mm. Making the shift from drops to hoods I'm pretty sure I move my body more than that, maybe I need to work on my flexibility. The EBB is more for the options it gives me on the wheel side of things.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It's something that I have been thinking about since I bought a used Gunnar crosshairs with discs (After my Strong was built but before Gunnar came up with the new system pictured above) and mounting a rear fender was a pain. I ended up with a seatpost mounted rear fender on the Gunnar (due to no caliper clearance and other poor clearance issues) which still throws a lot of water (and salty slush in winter) at my feet and bottom bracket. Commuting year round in all types of weather really allows you to think things through, at least where disc brakes and fenders are concerned. I may put a disc fork on the Strong this winter and try a mullet set up. Frozen rim brakes suck when the roads look like this...

But I digress... Yours is a beauty and I'm sure that you'll love it!

singlecross

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.