Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Probably still the Mavic EX823 disc...............

Oh wait, road......................nevermind

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
What is the strongest now? Alpha 400, or ?
I use the Alpha 400 for cross... airing it down really low for max traction with a reduced fear of burping.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Considering that in order to make it tubeless, you have to "install" tape and valves, and that you could do this for essentially any rim, the question becomes, 'what is the strongest rim'?

There's tons of strong rim options, take your pick.
Non UST compatible rims don't have a square bead hook, so you're more likely to burp or roll the tire despite what Stan's says.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Non UST compatible rims don't have a square bead hook, so you're more likely to burp or roll the tire despite what Stan's says.
UST bead rims are optimized for use with UST bead profile on the tire. Unfortunately, you don't have much, if any (compared to MTB) for UST Road tubeless tires.

Aside from Shimano, who else uses UST profile for the bead on their tubeless ready wheels/rims?

·
Registered
750 Posts
What is the strongest now? Alpha 400, or ?
The Campy/Fulcrum 2-way Fit rims have been pretty solid for me but I am not sure if you can get the rims to build up your own wheels. HED just came out with some new tubeless C2 "Belgian" rims I think - I would check into those. I may lace up a set of HED hubs I have with them later this summer if I can get those rims.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
What cfoster said.

Any rim is capable of running tubeless. I like to go wider with tubeless though and the Archetype from H Plus son is a great option.
ANd some may need a rim strip in order to get the road tubeless to hold air (prior to adding sealant).

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I have used Alpha 400 last 4 years and I have no problem with them. It is perfect brand for me.
you mean 340. the 400 came out last year

·
Wheel Builder
133 Posts
Suggest checking out the new wider HED Ardennes + C2 rims with tubeless specif profile.

View attachment 280411
Any idea how much that rim weighs? At 25mm wide, I'd imagine it's approaching the 500g range? Just curious.

I see the "tubeless specific" term thrown around a lot. It's sort of humorous to me. There's a million road rims out there, many of which are differentiated by the most miniscule amount, but recently I've noticed that more and more are being labeled as "tubeless specific".

Although 130mm road disc does technically exist, its employment is probably less than a millionth of a percent, outside of CX. Thus, all remaining road rims have a CNC sidewall, which lends itself to this vertical parallel sidewall shape. The tubeless specific term then applies to the fact that road rims are now being poached from the hybrid/comfort OE "wide" rim catalog now? Perhaps the term applies specifically to the rim's center bridge? Maybe the shape? The idea that the center is perfectly perpendicular to the sidewall a little longer than "most" other road rims, a distance of perhaps a whole mm?

It's not a bad idea to shape the rim's design if it helps with tape installation. That's what Stan's is about. But I've taped a bunch of different MTB 26"-29er rims, and haven't had any issues, in terms of tape. (Now with tire fit/seal that's another story.)

Regarding the top of the beadhook, etc., Stan's for example, is dedicated completely to designing their rim's shape and dimensions for tubeless applications, even if it meant moving away from industry (ISO) accepted dimensions. I think that with MTB disc rims, they really were able to move away from ISO dimensions, and were free to really come up with their own stuff. But with a CNC sidewall, I think that there's less flexibility in terms of design options. You have to address higher PSI, brake clamping force, brake wear, etc.

I'm not negative on road tubeless, if it evolves the sport, I think that's great. My main point is that I think the term "tubeless specific" is quickly becoming a marketing buzz term for road, (that's fine). But it seems like at this point, the primary attribute of "tubeless specific", (other than with Stan's, who does a great job at actually innovating), is simply rim width.

If you're not worried about rim weight, (which would be obvious if you're using a 500g rim), I'd recommend grabbing any hybrid/comfort 700c rim and tape it, run wider 25 - 30 tires at lower PSIs, and see if you like it before buying into a wheel system.

Zen mentioned the Archtype, I see that rim being discussed a lot. Velocity has the A23, that's a great rim. There's literally tons of great options. And, at the end of the day, if you want to spend about 1K on your wheels, then by all means, the HED C2 wheels would be right in the mix.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
The HED rims are spec'ed at 465gm. The "tubeless specific" feature are the detail shape of the hooks and the shelves inside each bead which help seal against the bead and facilitate inflation with a hand pump. It is said these also help retain the tire in the event of a flat.

Details here: Hed Ardennes Gets Fatter - Slowtwitch.com
A better picture

Old = left. New = right

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
eurus 2 way fit

i've been pounding miles out on these wheels for three years on "heavy" roads in Pasadena, and now the San Fernando valley. reliable, stiff, awesome breaking.
the stiffness is noticeable when descending and hard cornering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.