Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 9-speed Ultegra long cage rear derailleur in the parts bin. Thinking about installing it on my touring bike which will be used for heavy grocery hauling and also pulling a trailer with 2 kids up long or steep climbs.

Then I got to wondering if a mountain rear derailleur might be stronger (and recommended) for this application. New Deore LX 9-sp rear derailleurs are selling for about $32 online. Will a Deore LX buy me any peace of mind (for strength, longevity) over a recycled Ultegra? Or am I just as well off economizing with the used parts I have in hand?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
The derailleur does the shifting and holds the tension on the bottom part of the chain, not the part that actually does the "pulling" of the rear wheel cogs - that's the crankset and top part of the chain. The Ultegra will do just fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The biggest advantage you get from the mountain derailer is the ability the run a lower gear(larger cog), if that isn't a concern then there is no reason to spend the money.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
big_papa_nuts said:
The biggest advantage you get from the mountain derailer is the ability the run a lower gear(larger cog), if that isn't a concern then there is no reason to spend the money.
bigpapa's right. The LX would let you run MTB-size big cogs (32-34 tooth) for climbing or pulling. Ultegra long-cage will handle up to 27 tooth (as I've done on many steep hilly rides).
If you don't need the MTB big cogs, then stick with Ultegra for smoother shifting (and for you- no cost!).

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I got me a 2008 Deore LX Derailleur (with the neat-o "LX" engraving and longer cage). It works perfectly on my hybrid, but like the two users above me said: you don't need to change it unless you want to use larger cogs.

Longevity-wise, it depends on how old the Ultegra rd is and condition.I think $32 for the LX rd is a steal though. If you really got the spare change then it wouldn't hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts