Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
What are your ideas for having the strongest/best feel brake possible ? Im looking for a front brake to throw on my fixie (right now it has a diacomp center pull). Weight is not an issue.

Thanks,

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
When you say center pull do you mean canti-style or is there a hole in the middle to mount a modern caliper?
I would think that you would be more than pleased with any modern front caliper if you have a hole in the middle of the fork. This is a 700cc set up right? If so Shimano ,Ultegra or Dura-ace is what I would recomend. I would go with Shimano because they have a brake release on the caliper and you wont have to get a special lever for when you want to take the tire of the bike.
The important thing to have is a nice machined sidewall rim and a set of very nice brake pads. A soft sticky compound mated to a nice rim surface is what is really going to stop you well.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don't know if with that particular bike, you can mount thease but.... Get some Avid hydrolic disk breaks... Those things will stop a freak'n 18 wheeler!
When I converted my MTB just a 6 inch Hays mecanical on the front stoped the thing better than both of the old cantilver breaks.
Hydrolics are stronger than mec's, and Avids are stronger than Hays. And for added stopping power, the bigger the rotor you can get, the better!

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yeah, the 7800s are great.

I have Chorus on one bike, Record on another, and they're close, but my teammate's 7800 D/A brakes are nicer. The previous D/A (7700, I"m guessing?) wasn't supposed to be as good.

However, on my fixie I run single-pivot Campagnolo Athena brakes. I don't WANT too strong a brake on a fixed-gear bike, as you can't transfer your weight as well with the need to continue pedalling, and I ride it on hills to train, not to do fancy skip-stop tricks like some.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
LBK said:
Just don't get one of those ZG brakes. They are crab.
It doesn't take long for someone to chime in with a completely uneducated response. Thanks, LBK.

Pretty much every damned brake is strong enough to lift the rear end of your bike, and once you do that, there's no more extra braking to be had. What a person thinks of a set of brakes is determined by their perception as well as the brake setup (i.e. lever travel, type of brake pads, etc.).

I've used Dura Ace brakes. I liked Mavic SSC's better. I now have ZG brakes. With stock pads, the ZG's came in a close second to Mavic brakes. The difference was just a skinny, brown hair. With a different set of pads, I like the ZG's a skinny brown hair more than the Mavics.

LBK might be right about one thing: don't buy just one ZG brake. Buy the whole pair.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
LBK said:
No problem. Thank you for your EDUCATED, NON-BIASED COMMENTS
Well, little one, the educated part was the fact that virtually all brakes are more than stong enough to achieve maximum braking.

How many miles have you put on ZG brakes, or other brakes for that matter?

Your welcome.

·
Banned
141 Posts
alienator said:
Well, little one, the educated part was the fact that virtually all brakes are more than stong enough to achieve maximum braking.

Your welcome.
I had 1000km before I sold them. I'm using DA and Ultegra brakes right now. Honestly, ZG's performance wasn't adequate.

Anyway, alienator, what's with the offensive comments?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
alienator said:

Your welcome.
"Well, little one, the educated part was the fact that virtually all brakes are more than stong enough to achieve maximum braking." - WRONG. 6500 calipers, OP rims, Koolstop wet/dry (or dry) pads: all clean. Full strength= no lifting, no skidding, no stopping. - TF

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
alienator said:
It doesn't take long for someone to chime in with a completely uneducated response. Thanks, LBK.
Well, I have an M.S. degree, and those ZG brakes are crab! :D

I've used 105, Ultegra, DA, and ZG - DA 7800 gets my vote by a longshot.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Road cyclist said:
Don't you think you would get a more accurate comparison if every
brake type you mention had the same brake pad-rim interface?
Yup, you would. The point was that "brake power" in bikes is not an issue since nearly every brake out there can lift the rear wheel. Once you get to that point, more force on the rim does nothing. What people don't like in brakes is really their feel--and feel can be changed, to some degree, by how the brakes are setup--or the effectiveness of the pads on a given rim. How I ranked the brake/pad combos I mentioned doesn't matter, because I found a setup that I was happy with. After all, whether you like the feel or not is a personal matter.

Whenever someone says,"Don't buy product X....it's crap," the BS sensor goes off, as it should.

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Road cyclist said:
Don't you think you would get a more accurate comparison if every
brake type you mention had the same brake pad-rim interface?
Yep! I'll let you know when I set that all up and publish the results in a scientific journal. :D

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
LBK said:
I had 1000km before I sold them. I'm using DA and Ultegra brakes right now. Honestly, ZG's performance wasn't adequate.

Anyway, alienator, what's with the offensive comments?
I'm disappointed he didn't suggest some specific grip-strength exercises. Seriously, if you can't lock up any dual pivot brake with one hand, you're either riding a wrought-iron tandem with Shak in tow, or you need to eat your Wheaties.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
"Well, little one, the educated part was the fact that virtually all brakes are more than stong enough to achieve maximum braking." - WRONG. 6500 calipers, OP rims, Koolstop wet/dry (or dry) pads: all clean. Full strength= no lifting, no skidding, no stopping. - TF
Explain, please.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, maybe I should explain (god damn you anal retentive fools :D ). What I mean by 'powerful' is the ratio of EFFECTIVE clamping power vs. Input. Basically what brakes give you the most output for your input.
BTW - I just bought a set of cane creek scr-5 levers to use. Got 'em cheap.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.