Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'm not sure what a Stronglight Pulsion is. I've owned a couple of Stronglight cranks, and found them to be very nice. No probs at all. I'm a Campy guy, though. If the prices were similar, I'd get the Campy unless I was trying to match something.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
I have a Stronglight Pulsion crankset and like it a lot. The only issue was that the end of the crank was a little wide (box shaped) and I had to do some tedious spacing on the bottom bracket so the crank end wouldn't hit my frame on one side or the other.

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
The Pulsion has been discontinued and has been replaced by the amazingly ugly X-wing crankset, probably for good reason. The Pulsion and the rebadged Time cranksets that were actually pulsions seemed to break a lot in lots of different places.
I would suggest getting the Chorus crankset.

· now in philadelphia
798 Posts
I really like my pulsions activ-ti link but I understand that it may be fragile and the earlier models with the tight weave carbon layup were prone to breakage at the pedal-crank interface. on mine, which was the more durable wide carbon-weave layup made in the subsequent years after the initial run, the instructions stated clearly that pedal spacers should not be used and that the minimum pedal spindle measurement should be observed.

thomas voeckler rode on a strong pulsion activ-ti. my set with bb weight included is 630 grams with bolts. that's over 200 grams lighter than dura ace.

it's a delicate crankset and while it is incredibly stiff, i worry that the structure is brittle overall due to the stiffness/weight perceived ratio. it's a tradeoff you'll want to consider...

· Darling of The Lounge
5,354 Posts
Agreed

MerlinAma said:
I have a Stronglight Pulsion crankset and like it a lot. The only issue was that the end of the crank was a little wide (box shaped) and I had to do some tedious spacing on the bottom bracket so the crank end wouldn't hit my frame on one side or the other.
I have a pair of Pulsions cranks on my Madone 5.5 and love the way they perform. The Teflon coated rings do help with smoother shifting and cutting down on drivetain noise. However, I too have very little room between the lower crank arm and chainstay to the tune of about 8-10 mm. I would be very careful mating these cranks to non-curved stays.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
The Pulsion has been discontinued and has been replaced by the amazingly ugly X-wing crankset, probably for good reason. The Pulsion and the rebadged Time cranksets that were actually pulsions seemed to break a lot in lots of different places.
I would suggest getting the Chorus crankset.
I'd say amazingly ugly is an understatement. :eek:

· Darling of The Lounge
5,354 Posts
Ha!

bigbill said:
Don't bet on it. People steal Scions.
I'm glad someone else thinks those Scions are far from stunning looking. The first generation Xb looks like a refrigerator turned on its side with four wheels slapped on it.

At least the newer ones have a more rounded look. The Xc coupe is the nicest looking of the bunch:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.