Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those apologies in advance threads if it's all already here and I can't see the wood for the trees. Our cycling is broader than ever before in terms of it fitting in with our lifestyle and the tools available to us. So for example, I keep an eye on GPS, computers, data etc. You could argue that it merits a room of its own.

Similarly, light technology has moved on considerably and is said to do so again as the patents held (back) by the oil companies (allegedly) run out and battery technology makes its way into the output from Light & Motion, Exposure, Niterider, Denotte, Ayup and so on. Whilst off-roaders focus on this more for their unlit trail riding it's still pretty important for those of us who ride the roads at night. In fact, the high outputs demand care with the direction of light, ability to dip quickly and avoid dazzling cars, peripheral output for vehicles coming at us sideways and probably more. MTB forums have lighting sections but I don't see one here.

In the manufacturer room an argument could be made for the classic handbuilt steel bikes which are still made today (here in the UK anyway) such as Brian Rourke, Bob Jackson and Chas Roberts, perhaps as one integrated room. I should also plug (my) Viner as an elite Italian (mostly handbuilt) brand up there with Colnago, Pinarello et al that doens't have a room. Maybe these brand thoughts are just too small and niche for your side of the pond though.

Any thoughts on the above or indeed other emerging topics that might have their own room?
I enjoy the site anyway by the way!

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
paul l said:
One of those apologies in advance threads if it's all already here and I can't see the wood for the trees. Our cycling is broader than ever before in terms of it fitting in with our lifestyle and the tools available to us. So for example, I keep an eye on GPS, computers, data etc. You could argue that it merits a room of its own.
Traffic like this is regularly covered in the Commuting and Touring Forum.

Similarly, light technology has moved on considerably and is said to do so again as the patents held (back) by the oil companies (allegedly) run out and battery technology makes its way into the output from Light & Motion, Exposure, Niterider, Denotte, Ayup and so on. Whilst off-roaders focus on this more for their unlit trail riding it's still pretty important for those of us who ride the roads at night. In fact, the high outputs demand care with the direction of light, ability to dip quickly and avoid dazzling cars, peripheral output for vehicles coming at us sideways and probably more. MTB forums have lighting sections but I don't see one here.
Traffic like this is regularly covered in the Commuting and Touring Forum.

In the manufacturer room an argument could be made for the classic handbuilt steel bikes which are still made today (here in the UK anyway) such as Brian Rourke, Bob Jackson and Chas Roberts, perhaps as one integrated room. I should also plug (my) Viner as an elite Italian (mostly handbuilt) brand up there with Colnago, Pinarello et al that doens't have a room. Maybe these brand thoughts are just too small and niche for your side of the pond.!
There are already forums for most of the major brands and some not so major. Colnago, Look, Moots, etc. are all represented. Along with Campagnolo and Shimano.

Click this link for the general list of all the individual forums. Forums

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks.

Just visited that room and I find 78 threads which do not cover quality lighting or GPS to my eyes so are you basically saying there is no interest in them?

Yes, I am quite aware of the brands with their own room which is why I listed Viner and and handcrafted steel bikes as absent.

Never mind.

·
3,494 Posts
The mtbr.com sister site has specific sub-forums for GPS, video and lights. There is more activity on that site for those subject areas, and there's a lot of common interest for road too. They have a lot of forums while RBR has been much slower to add new ones. I suspect that this is partly due to volume of traffic.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,791 Posts
ukbloke said:
The mtbr.com sister site has specific sub-forums for GPS, video and lights. There is more activity on that site for those subject areas, and there's a lot of common interest for road too. They have a lot of forums while RBR has been much slower to add new ones. I suspect that this is partly due to volume of traffic.
OTOH...it makes MTBR a monstrosity to navigate. At last count they had some 200-300 sub-forums?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Kiss

I feel that the fewer sub-forums, the better. I was glad to see the e-bikes forum go away, and really think "interbike" ought to be a thread, not a forum.

It's too easy to get lost in the midst of far too much internet noise...

I am sure there are enthusiast sites for GPS devices, but here, having a separate forum

Yours truly works at a bicycle manufacturer which sells a 6-figure number of units annually, but is not represented in the manufacturer's forums. Them's the breaks. Atmo.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
paul l said:
Ok, thanks.

Just visited that room and I find 78 threads which do not cover quality lighting or GPS to my eyes so are you basically saying there is no interest in them?

Yes, I am quite aware of the brands with their own room which is why I listed Viner and and handcrafted steel bikes as absent.

Never mind.
I'm saying that if you want to discuss lighting or GPS, go to the Commuting Forum and start a thread. There are a lot of experts there and they will happily talk about the subject with you.

And I bet if you use the Search function you might find some that have already started.

I'm guessing a Lighting or GPS forum would generate about half as much traffic as the regional forums which go months between posts. So why bother?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sure no problem, I don't want my thoughts to be construed as trouble making.

I ride both road and off-road and I have a feel for my lighting preferences off-road. I realise that on MTBR it's a fest of traffic on commercially available, far-east and DIY lighting. On the road I think our needs are different and I haven't seen much on it. I noted that on MTBR the manufacturers are all over the rooms like a rash. I have a personal opinion that this is never healthy as it can suppress as much as it supports (it chokes the world of coffee for example) but I understand that direct feedback can of course be beneficial and is usually necessary for site sponsorship.

It occurred to me that amidst the bikes, kit and other revenue aspects of the bike world that seeks our money, any topic regarding safety or indeed health is arguably worthy of a headline section. In other words, o answer the question of why bother you could say that to promote cycling for life and increase tolerance of drivers and others towards us there is a natural set of priorities. For example, safety topics, health and fitness, social responsibility, maintenance (i.e. ecology and carbon footprint, re-using) and finally spending (bikes, kit, upgrading) etc. In a sense this turns the mental approach upside down.

I understand entirely the general comment that forums are easily overwhelmed by too many rooms and also that people are mostly interested in equipment borne out by numbers of threads and posts. It happens the world over on any pastime.

Thanks for the debate anyway, I presume raising the questions is always welcomed.

·
Administrator
12,951 Posts
paul l said:
Sure no problem, I don't want my thoughts to be construed as trouble making.
Not at all- we are always open to ideas. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts