Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,006 Posts
This is how I saw it done: Wrap a piece of chain around the cog; it only has to go a little more than halfway around. Put the chain-wrapped cog in a bench vise. Don't torque the vice down super-tight, but it has to be secure. The chain will protect the cog teeth at the points of contact. Turn the wheel to loosen the cog. The huge wheel diameter (compared to the cog diameter) should give you plenty of leverage, and it will spin right off.

· Registered
330 Posts
weltyed said:
Any hints for removing a stubborn cog? the lockring comes off just fine,but i can't get the cog to budge.
Put the wheel back on the bike with the lockring removed. Adjust the wheel so the chain is tight. Use an old toe strap to secure one crank arm to the chain stay (wrap it around a few times). Turn the wheel foward, the added leverage of the wheel should spin the cog off. If it breaks the stap, you have problems.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. i will try the toestrap method first. after that, i might try mounting the bike, holding on to something, and back pedal. after that, i will try the vice method.

wish me luck. i have a feeling i wont get outta this without bloody knuckles.

· Registered
15 Posts
or the stair method...

wrap the chain tool around the cog like you would if you were removing it by hand. with the wheel vertical put the tip of the chain tool on the top step with the wheel on the downhill side. Twist an push down on the wheel. You get a lot more push on the wheel, because you are turning the wheel and not the tool.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
weltyed said:
Any hints for removing a stubborn cog? the lockring comes off just fine,but i can't get the cog to budge.
1) Drop the chain off the chainring, so it's laying around the BB.

2) Allow the slack to form in the top run of the chain, so it gets caught between the cog and the lower chain run.

3) Rotate the wheel in the forward direction. It'll spin the cog right off.

I know this works unintentionally. I have no idea if you can make it happen intentionally. Kinda messes things up, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.