Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been commuting regularly for the past few months. I gave up on my truck and no longer own a vehicle.

I ride my bike everywhere - to work, to the store, to the bank, to the post office... everywhere.

I really enjoyed this before. I felt lucky to be able to do such things.

Now it seems to be becoming more of a drag. I don't take the long way home anymore. I just want to get home. I used to leave early and enjoy my morning commute. Now I wake up a half hour later and have to ride pretty hard to get to work on time.

I've lost all want for long weekend rides. I tried to ride on Saturdays a few weeks ago and I got about 10 miles in and didn't want to ride any more... or felt that I couldn't ride anymore. I turned around, went home, took a shower and I felt tired and run down.

My daily commute to work isn't bad at all. It's easy. It's 8 miles one way. that's only 80 miles per week, so it's not a ton of riding. But I feel like it's become more of a chore than anything, and that's really bothering me.

My bike used to be my escape. Now it drives me straight to the place I want to escape from. I looked forward to waking up so I could ride. Now I dread it because it seems that it's become part of the dreaded "routine."

I need some advice on how to get out of this funk.

joe

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
build yourself a 32/16 or 18 mountain bike and ride that for a bit. it forces you to slow down and interact a little more with your surroundings. does for me anyways. I hurt my wrists cleaning up after last weeks floods and haven't been able to ride my drop bar bikes comfortably so I've been riding my ss for the past 7 days. slow, but fun.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Some thoughts...

time away from the bike will probably help.....Can you use public transportation?

If you have mulitiple bikes, use a different bike on weekends vs your commuter.... Let your commuter be your "work" bike and use another for a "fun" bike...

New bar tape- it sounds stupid but it sometimes works getting rid of burnout...It gives you something to look forward to

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

I commute on a single speed... 42 16. Unfortunately I used red lock tight on the chainring bolts when they kept coming loose.

I don't know if I'd call it depression.. just a funk. I'm not really satisfied with my job, but I don't dislike it. I don't see what else I would like doing better... maybe that's part of the issue. But it's not a bad job. I've got plans I'm working through in my mind... if you read the Lounge you probably have an idea of what those are. I don't think I'm depressed... just ready to do something great/exciting/interesting/fun/out of my frame of reference and way out of my realm of what I'm comfortable with.

I checked out the sandals, Bill. I think that'd be pretty cool, but I'll need something in a 52 (I wear a 50 in my Shimano SPD's). The sandals would be good... I saw your foot tan last year, and it was pretty awesome.

My dad suggested public transportation, but it'd take me longer to get to work on the bus than it would to ride there. Maybe I'll give it a shot, but I don't really want to wake up at 5am just so I can catch a bus.

I want a MTB... bad.

joe

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
, but it'd take me longer to get to work on the bus than it would to ride there. Maybe I'll give it a shot, but I don't really want to wake up at 5am just so I can catch a bus.

joe

that's the reason I suggested public transportation,...You'll be back on your bike in no time:thumbsup:

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Joe, think of it this way. If you were in a car you'd be in the same commuting funk as 8,000,000 other southern Californians. You'd still be leaving at the last moment to drive and you'd probably not want to drive around on the weekends. Trust me, commuting is commuting and it really doesn't matter what type of transportation it is - at some point you're going to get bored with the same routine. For me, taking the camera has been my saving grace. Forces me to leave early if I want to take pictures and get home early enough that I can play with them on the computer.

The other thing is, when you aren't crazy about your job it's going to be hard to drag your tail in there. Especially when they mess up your lunch hour ;). Routine life can be boring at times but don't let it get you down man. And like I said, just remember, as you ride along bored and in a funk about the commute you're surrounded by millions of pissed off, depressed, irritable, drivers all just wanting to get their day done with. And I'm guessing they're far worse off emotionally in those cars than you could ever be on that bike.

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
random suggestions:

spice things up with a tab of lsd

occasionaly knock the mirror off an SUV stuck in traffic

ride a skateboard for the commute every now and again

walk up to the next girl you find really attractive and tell her exactly what it is you find attractive about her and that it would be your dream to be given an opportunity of making an ass of yourself.

keep asking more chicks till either you get arrested or meet the perfect woman

more tequila

quit america for a year or two, buy a ticket and just go, make it up as you go along

find a chick who likes to ride bikes

find a guy who likes to ride bikes and dress him up as a chick

life is a verb

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
You are definitely a "grass is greener on the other side" kind of guy. I second the suggestion that you take public transportation, so you can see just how green your own grass is (wait, that didn't sound right ...). Maybe do it on tuesdays and thursdays, which will give your legs a nice break. Bring a book on the bus and chill.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Buy a Hummer. Then every time you have to fill it up with gas you will be reminded about how great cycling is. I predict you will drive the Hummer very infrequently.

I try to bike commute most days, but usually end up driving 1-2 days a week. Those days driving really make me appreciate my bike, and I'm rarin' to go the next day. I try to time my driving to days when the weather is rainy or otherwise sucky (such as 100+ temperatures) but it doesn't always work out that way.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Joe, I wish you the best and hope you find something to resolve this problem. If depression is a potential factor I might recommend an alternate physical activity, such as hiking or in line skating that can offer you a new skill to master.

I burned out of mountain biking ~15 years ago and only got back into cycling last year (this time on the road). Take care of yourself and find something to make that spark happen again. -Scott

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Joe,

I agree that MTBing is a totally different experience than road biking and especially commuting. It's like comparing road biking to sailing (or motor boating to sailing - two totally different things done on the same playground).

One question though. Without a motor vehicle, do you have a way to get to a trail head? Public x-port or is it close enough to ride knobbies to it? riding 10 miles each way to a trail head on a full squishy MTB is no fun (1st hand knowledge), and takes away from the whole experience.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I commute 15 miles each way. Sometimes, not very often, I'd just assume go another way, but when I do, I return to the bike a day later, reminded that even a dulll commute is better than a good drive.

I understand the loss of motivation to ride all weekend long. I get 150 miles a week on my commute and some weeks it can really run you down. But look at the bright side, it opens up space in your life for different, dare I say, non-cycling opportunities. For me, it lets me chill out and hang out with the lady, giving my life more balance.

It sounds like you need some variety in your life. Routines and ruts are different. Join a book club, meet new people, volunteer . . .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.