Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm working on a friends bike and they have an earlier cannondale with 1" threaded headset (changing out the headset)... lo and behold last night I found that the stem bottom and headset were pretty rusted and I think the stem is rusted into the steerer tube... i soaked the whole area with wd40 last night and am hoping that by tonight it will loosen up... any other ideas though, anyone run across this before??? Not sure what the bottom part of the quill stem is called, the part that tightens agains the inside of the steerer, but I think thats what has rusted up a bit... I figure tonight I'll reinseert the bolt to that, and tap it a bit and hopefully loosen it up...

so, to make a long story short, anyone else ever seen a rusted quill stem and have any great ideas on how to loosen it up?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
good luck

Sometimes it's easier to unstick the stem by knocking it further into the head tube with a rubber mallet. If that fails, it's a matter of finding ways to get more leverage like turning the bike upside down, standing on the handle bars and using a broom handle between the fork legs. This is not a happy chore as many of these methods risk marring part of the bike.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Re-insert the stem bolt and give it a sharp rap with a plastic/rubber/wood mallet. Don't be afraid to hit it hard as long as the bolt is fully threaded into the expander (don't do this in a bike stand, make sure the bikes on the floor). Nine times out of ten this works, especially since it's been sitting for awhile doused in WD40. If it doesn't, remove the stem bolt and go at it from the bottom, through the hole in the fork crown. Find a suitable sized pipe that fits through the hole and rap it against the bottom of the expander.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

Figured i'dresort to using the stem bolt tonight after it set with wd40 a while... and i like the idea of coming from underneat if needed... got a piece of dowel that would be perfec tfor that if i have to try...

thanks for the idea... hopefully the thing just pops off tonight...

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Different chemistry

bikerboy337 said:
Figured i'dresort to using the stem bolt tonight after it set with wd40 a while... and i like the idea of coming from underneat if needed... got a piece of dowel that would be perfec tfor that if i have to try.
Before you give up or resort to super brute force, you should consider a more effective solvent than WD-40. Liquid Wrench or Kroil (among others) are made for this task and will do much better than aerosol kerosene (aka WD-40).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts