Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies first if this is a moronic question.
I have a Giant TCR2 Aero. I need to remove a spacer or two in order to be able to lower my TT position. However, when I tried to remove them, they're stuck !! I have a Fuji whose spacers come out very easily. Am I missing something here ?
I'd appreciate any help on this.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Bill from WPB said:
I have a Fuji whose spacers come out very easily. Am I missing something here ?
If they come out easy why are they stuck?

I assume your fork is aluminum, if so have you tapped it with a hammer?
Try PB Blaster if it is seized, good stuff!

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Liquid Wrench, Kroil

In addition to the PB Blaster mentioned by the bull, there's Liquid Wrench, Kroil, ammonia, etc. that can serve to break the corrosion bond that has formed between your spacers and your steerer tube. It's apparent that there was not enough grease applied to the parts when things were assembled, or perhaps it's just been left together for years without any maintenance. A tap with a mallet should serve to move things along.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried some

Kerry Irons said:
In addition to the PB Blaster mentioned by the bull, there's Liquid Wrench, Kroil, ammonia, etc. that can serve to break the corrosion bond that has formed between your spacers and your steerer tube. It's apparent that there was not enough grease applied to the parts when things were assembled, or perhaps it's just been left together for years without any maintenance. A tap with a mallet should serve to move things along.

Thanks, Kerry-
I did remove all visible corrosion, tried the tapping and WD-40. Today I'm riding it, but tonight I'll keep on trying with the products you mentioned. Looks like it's welded to the tube! Again, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My other bike

the bull said:
If they come out easy why are they stuck?

I assume your fork is aluminum, if so have you tapped it with a hammer?
Try PB Blaster if it is seized, good stuff!

Hi, Bull-
It's my Giant bike the one that has stuck spacers. What I was trying to say is that I tried to remove the spacers (for comparison) from my Fuji (other) bike, which is a year older, and they were nice and loose. Thanks for you suggestion.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Let it soak

overnight and try it again. If there is any carbon I would try to keep the pb baster off it
that stuff is pretty strong, it will melt styrofoam on contact.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Not the same

the bull said:
If there is any carbon I would try to keep the pb baster off it - that stuff is pretty strong, it will melt styrofoam on contact.
CF components are made of epoxy, which is a crosslinked polymer and pretty solvent resistant. Styrofoam is polystyrene, which is not crosslinked and is not very solvent resistant. For example, you can use an epoxy with methylene chloride solvent, but you can quickly dissolve polystyrene with it. CF stands up well to the grease and oil of the drive train, so it's pretty solvent resistant.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Yep

Kerry Irons said:
CF components are made of epoxy, which is a crosslinked polymer and pretty solvent resistant. Styrofoam is polystyrene, which is not crosslinked and is not very solvent resistant. For example, you can use an epoxy with methylene chloride solvent, but you can quickly dissolve polystyrene with it. CF stands up well to the grease and oil of the drive train, so it's pretty solvent resistant.
I know that forks are not made of styrofoam, Just that I am pretty careful where I spray something that can melt a cup right before your eyes around a $4,000 bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts