Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few years I have made a practice of "Sticking" (this locks the thread to the top of the page) any and all photo threads with at least 4 images submitted in the Commuting/Touring Forum. After there have been no new replies for a day or two (or if the thread has been stuck for 4 or more days) I have "Un-Stuck" the thread and it falls into the regular que.

I felt that this rewarded posters that that went to the all the trouble of taking photos, processing them and uploading them into a thread. These threads are my favorite part of this forum and as a matter of fact my favorite part of this site.

I made no distinction of quality of content or image quality in sticking threads. Any thread with a bunch of images got stuck.

In addition there have been 2 threads perma-stuck in this forum; a "How to Post Photos" and a index of the years photo threads that Scot Gore maintained. In total there have been as many as 18 threads stuck at any one time.

Now I have been instructed by the site management to have no more than 6 "Stuck" threads at any one time (I believe this policy was not caused by anything that happened in the Commuting/Touring Forum). I am unsure how to carry on. If I or someone else decides which threads are worthy of being stuck how do the posters whose threads are not chosen feel? If threads are not stuck will folks post as many interesting threads?

Anyway, give me some feedback here folks. Should I just forget about sticking photo posts? Should I pick one every week? Should I just go on a 6-day drinking binge?

Help me out here.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Personally, I think this forum has too many sticky threads. Although I appreciate the photo threads as much as anyone, all of the stickies has the effect of limiting discussion on topics such as commuting and touring. You frequently have to scroll down quite a bit to find current discussions.

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
I like beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow...

but srsly, use ur discretion MB1 you know which are 'worthy' of sticky status and if there are a bunch (over 6) at a given time u make the call which gets pruned, but you better not cut any of mine you sonnofa*****!:D

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Depending upon how much effort you want to put into this and how much extra work it would be, I will make a suggestion or three:

1. One sticky FAQ thread containing links to the How To Post A Picture thread, a clean link to the Scot Gore photo thread, and to other threads that would be good to have a clean link to ( like the parts source threads in the fixed section ).

2. Good photo essay threads, good being defined by you since you have the sticky key power :) , can be stickied for a day to ensure they get seen. Then active posting will keep them floating at the top of the thread structure after that.

3. "Special" threads can be stickied for more than a day, such as the Arby exhibit thread.

Don't know if these comments help or not, hope they help a little. Apart from that, if you do go on a 6-day binge then bring the camera and takes lots of pics. :D

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Not much help from me MB1. At times there are more threads stickied than I care for, but I think your policy of stickying all the photo threads makes sense. Given your directive from above, however, I think you're just going to have to suck it up and make the call on what gets stickied and what doesn't yourself. After all, they're giving you a raise, right? ;)

·
Bike Dude
993 Posts
Ultimately you have to do what is fair and what you and the other moderators feel is best for the boards. I enjoy all the photos posted and I appreciate someone else doing all the hard work here. If I need to find something I either get lucky by scrolling or I'll use the "search" box. Thank you for asking for our opinions. And thanks to everyone for the great photos.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
maybe some other notation to signify an outstanding report (little icon on the left?), but I agree that there were way too many stickies cluttering up the top 3/4 of the page

·
Registered
783 Posts
Personally I do not care if I get a sticky on my ride reports or not I just enjoy sharing the area I live and ride in. Guess I'm saying it won't make me feel any less worthy if I do not get a sticky. Like Dave said I'll just have to scroll down more to make sure I don't miss looking at any ride reports

Just my 2cents worth

Ray Still

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there any chance we could get a second forum for ride reports from commuting/touring? I enjoy the content of both, and I agree that the photo reports are very likely to get squeezed out by normal discussion threads.

On the other hand, I'm here practically daily anyway, so the one-day limited sticky would probably suit me fine. We could all pitch in to comment-bump worthy threads that sink to the bottom, too.

The photo reports are definitely my favorite part of this site. My post count will attest that I don't often have much to say, and I confess to mostly being a leech on other people's photo posts. But really, what better daydreaming fuel is there than following rides from your desk at work?

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I think you have a good policy on sticky threads, and I don't think you should change it. What are they going to do, fire you? Seriously, how often do you end up with more than six sticky threads anyway? As a moderator, you are asked to make judgment calls, and I think that includes occasionally breaking the "rules."

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I think you have a good policy on sticky threads, and I don't think you should change it. What are they going to do, fire you? Seriously, how often do you end up with more than six sticky threads anyway? As a moderator, you are asked to make judgment calls, and I think that includes occasionally breaking the "rules."
I agree with that entirely. ignore francois, you have/had a good system. stick with it (no pun intended).

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
balance

A little balance would be good. Recently, I counted 17 stickies at once. Had to scroll at least half way down the page to find current threads.

Also, some threads may merit as much attention, even if they don't have several photos.

A few stickies are fine. Don't think people will get upset if they don't get the sticky treatment or if you remove the sticky to make room for new ones.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Not to gripe, but I once posted a ride report on a ride I did with lots of photos that was not stickied for whatever reason. It must have slipped through the cracks. I was sort of bummed becasue a lot of people probably didn't have a chance to see it. I wondered what the point was.

That said, I like your system.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I don't know MB1. All those stickies wasted .000001 seconds of my time to scroll down. Good grief, if one thing never bothered me on this forum was how many stickies there were. I love the pictures and the ride reports and love boring people with my own. I wish I could say ignore the powers that be but I don't want you to get yelled at or dismissed, or sent to internet purgatory or whatever they can do to you. I say use your best judgement and sticky the ones you want up there. I know mine will be at the top anyway :)!

And for anyone who's complained about the stickies or can't take .00000001 seconds of their day to scroll down. . . . .pppphhhhhhbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Pablo said:
Not to gripe, but I once posted a ride report on a ride I did with lots of photos that was not stickied for whatever reason. It must have slipped through the cracks. I was sort of bummed becasue a lot of people probably didn't have a chance to see it. I wondered what the point was.

That said, I like your system.
It was an oversight. Like everyone MB1 and myself miss threads, they roll to page 2 between our visits and I at least seldom visit page two on this sub board.

Scot

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I had not heard the new "policy", I saw that nothing was stickied and avoided putting them back and figured something was up.

To meet the boss halfway I would suggest we propose a time rule for C/T. As an example, all photo posts with a first post age <= 3 days old and if it goes over 6 posts, so be it, time will heal the wound.

My suggestion.

Scot

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
More thoughts:
1) I don't think the photo post instructions need to stay stickied here since they are anchored on the right side bar.

2) With all the time I have into the Index post I would like to see it stay. If it drops off I would likely stop updating it since it gets no replies and no one would ever see it again.

Scot

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.