Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I've got one of these on all my bikes, except the one with a carbon fork, since it doesn't fit. Love em.

I'll be giving Brooks saddles a try one of these days, never heard anything but good about them.
If you're going to go leather, consider a Berthoud. I put a Berthoud Aspin on a bike and it has been the most comfortable saddle, from the 1st ride, that I have ever used. I've only got about 1700 miles on it but at this point I don't see anything that could change my opinion of it. And, unlike a Brooks, the parts are available making it completely rebuildable.

Saddles (berthoudcycles.fr)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also have a Wipperman Connex 11 speed quick link in all of my saddle bags (the Topeak Ratchet Rocket DX+ has a chain breaker).

These are great because they don't require a tool to install or remove.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also have a Wipperman Connex 11 speed quick link in all of my saddle bags (the Topeak Ratchet Rocket DX+ has a chain breaker).
Why would you need one of these when you have one on the chain? Have you ever broke one?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Not without a chain breaker your not. How many times have you broke your chain? tell the truth!

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
So you carry a chain tool and a link, for all rides. For 3 times you used it? OMG.
Fck yea. It's part of my multitool
Saved my ass from being stranded 50 miles from home.
I've used my chain tool quite a few more times than that. Fixed a few broken derailleurs. Gotten chains out that were jammed in BBs.
Priceless to me.
And I'm strong enough of a rider that the 0.1gram link in my saddle bag doesn't hold me back 👍 YMMV

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,793 Posts
Reactions: xxl

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,418 Posts
Common items on bikes:.....Three road bikes........All have Look Delta pedals (I use black fixed cleats)......All have Selle Italia Flite saddles (original flite)....All have Dura Ace components (Two with 7700, & one with 7800) .........All use the same bike computers (Cateye Astrale 8 rear wheel pickup) & a Polar M400 GPS.....Different tires and wheels can interchange between bikes.

PS. Broke a chain two weeks ago......Had a 3-1/2 mile walk......Second time it happened. .....First time was back in the 80's on a 7 speed sedisport chain......I figure that I'm good for another 30 some years.........PS.....Don't carry any quick links, because I don't carry a chain tool............
In fact, for the last two weeks, since I had my little walk, I've gone out without anything...........I've decided to start using up my race wheels, since I retired from racing after 2017........Those tubulars are glued on so tight, that I'd never be able to get them off, on the road. I figure that if I flat, I'll just ride home on the glued on flat.......It's hilarious, but I'm using a Comp 22 in back, and a Comp 19 in front.....That 19 gives a pretty bumpy ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get some lights. Get some lights. Good quality people are cheap now, but it's easy to take away. Get those who load USB, it'll be cheaper to run than long-term batteries. Go and ride. Then ride. If you are a newbie and fancy Co2 tire inflators are not newbie equipment either, you will probably not drive far enough to have padded shorts for quite a while, and why you do not need to spend money. In the near future, the only other thing I'd think about is a rack and baggage to make shopping, merchandise etc a bit more versatile.
I learn most trail dirt bike for beginners tips because I have to fix issues, separate things, and then fix/clean before reassembly. This too is helped by YouTube. Try to learn how it works, tinker away. If you want your own bike to run and run after it's broken it's a success and give you the next chance, or somebody else needs assistance.

·
Super Moderator
40,589 Posts
Get some lights. Get some lights. Good quality people are cheap now, but it's easy to take away. Get those who load USB, it'll be cheaper to run than long-term batteries. Go and ride. Then ride. If you are a newbie and fancy Co2 tyre inflators are not newbie equipment either, you will probably not drive far enough to have padded shorts for quite a while, and why you do not need to spend money. In the near future, the only other thing I'd think about is a rack and baggage to make shopping, merchandise etc a bit more versatile.
I learn most maintenance tips because I have to fix issues, separate things, and then fix/clean before reassembly. This too is helped by YouTube. Try to learn how it works, tinker away. If you want your own bike to run and run after it's broken it's a success and give you the next chance, or somebody else needs assistance.
Lights! This!!

All my bikes have light mounts on them (I run Cygolites), and this has dramatically increased my riding, because there are more time slots open to me. Rechargeables rock.

I do a fair amount of urban riding, so I run taillights on my rides as well, AM or PM, for safety.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
have two road bikes...one is a DA 8 carbon, one is DA10 Ti.

they have zero common components.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Two bikes.......Thompson seatpost on each. And I can and often do swap front wheels from one to the other (h Plus Archetype with WI hub) so those. I think that's it. Inner cable, brake pads, tape, tubes, and stuff like that may or may not be the same at any given time.

·
Registered
904 Posts
So you carry a chain tool and a link, for all rides. For 3 times you used it? OMG.
The chain breaker is part of the Ratchet Rocket DX Plus kit. It's integrated and doesn't weigh much or take up any additional space.

Most of my rides on on gravel roads and single track in the mountains where there is no cell coverage, and it's a long long long hike to get back to civilization, so yes, I carry the tools I need to make sure I can get home.

I also forgot to mention that all of my bikes have a spare derailleur hangar as well.

Edit: And yes, LIGHTS! I keep a set of Bontrager Flare lights on all of my bikes at all times. I don't turn them on during the day when I'm out on the trails, but if I'm riding amongst cars, I have them on. Day or Night!

Edit again: Back to the chain thing. I ride most if not all of the Vicious Cycles fondos every year (except last year :mad:).

The first one I rode, I came across a gal walking with a broken chain (bent plates and missing pin). No other damage. I used my chain tool to remove the bent plates, and fixed her chain with one of my quick links and she was back on her bike and finished the ride. The location I found her was probably 10 miles from the nearest paved road, and mobile phone coverage. It's possible the sag wagon might have found her before she got there, but was going to be a long sad day for her if I hadn't repaired her chain.

I haven't talked to her recently, but I'd be willing to bet a nice new set of gravel tires that she carries a chain breaker and quick links with her on all of her rides now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spare tube, multi tool, hand pump, etc. The normal stuff.

The one things out of the ordinary is a Girl Scout bell/compass. My daughter is a scout and we both have one our bikes (this one is on her's).I've used the compass more than I though I would. The bell is not as loud as I would like, but it does work. I have it because my daughter has one on her bike.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The first one I rode, I came across a gal walking with a broken chain (bent plates and missing pin). No other damage. I used my chain tool to remove the bent plates, and fixed her chain with one of my quick links and she was back on her bike and finished the ride. The location I found her was probably 10 miles from the nearest paved road, and mobile phone coverage. It's possible the sag wagon might have found her before she got there, but was going to be a long sad day for her if I hadn't repaired her chain.
Did the chain break at the master link?
It's nice that you take care of other's problems. I have one going now that needs some help.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts