Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Did the chain break at the master link?
It's nice that you take care of other's problems. I have one going now that needs some help.
I can't remember for sure, but I think she didn't have a quick link, and used a joining pin instead. Why does it matter?

And as far as the help you need, I'm afraid you're not going to find that kind of help on a bike forum.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Well, I'm trying to do a little survey on where all these chains are breaking, and some bike forum idiot wants to worry about 'words'. The problem is around here somewhere, i forgot?

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Well, I'm trying to do a little survey on where all these chains are breaking, and some bike forum idiot wants to worry about 'words'. The problem is around here somewhere, i forgot?
Could you be more specific, who's this idiot of who you speak?

·
What the what???
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So you carry a chain tool and a link, for all rides. For 3 times you used it? OMG.
Hell, I carry a chain tool (part of a multi-tool) and quick links on my bikes and I’ve never had to use it. :)

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Hell, I carry a chain tool (part of a multi-tool) and quick links on my bikes and I’ve never had to use it. :)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Spare tube, multi tool, hand pump, etc. The normal stuff.

The one things out of the ordinary is a Girl Scout bell/compass. My daughter is a scout and we both have one our bikes (this one is on her's).I've used the compass more than I though I would. The bell is not as loud as I would like, but it does work. I have it because my daughter has one on her bike.

View attachment 479712
I like. But it looks kinda heavy. How much does it weigh? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like. But it looks kinda heavy. How much does it weigh? :)
33g according to the kitchen scale. Well within the UCI rules for bell compass attachment for handlebars (Rule UCI104.53.21.b).

Of course if I opted for the carbon fiber unit it would have ben under the UCI limit. 😂

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I carry 2 tubes, 3 CO2, 3 tire levers, a small boot/patch sticky and I added a minipump cause sometimes I'm way out there. I used to do a group ride, there was this guy we rode with, he never carried anything, no seat bag, no tube, no pump, probably not even a candy bar.
One day he got in the front group, we all went past him as he was standing in the middle of the road with his wheel & flat tire. NO ONE STOPPED!

·
Neophyte
2,150 Posts
All Shimano drivetrains (9000, 9000/6800 mix, R8000/5800 mix, 7800)

Shimano carbon laminate wheelsets on all rim brake road bikes (9000-C35, 9000-C24, RS80-C24)

2 bikes on Prologo Zero II PAS saddles, 2 bikes on Specialized Romin

Ritchey WCS Logic II bars on all road bikes, most with Ritchey Matrix C260 stems

Shimano PRO bar tape

King Titanium bottle cages on any metal framed bike

4iiii power meters on 3 bikes (1 dual setup, 2 single)

Shimano road pedals

Incredibell is my bell of choice in most cases

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,273 Posts
This will probably put me squarely into the "fred" column, but on any of my bikes which have a threaded presta stem, on the rear wheel I always put 2 nuts on the thread, locked firmly down. Why? Because I seem to have a problem with slipping my rear tire on the bead when climbing steep hills, resulting in a valve stem cocked-over at 45°. Doesn't matter if I'm riding tubed or tubular; I torque the living bejeezus out of my rear tires!

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
What? Do you put one nut inside the rim?
If you don't how does 2 nuts help?
If you can really light them up, what you need are called "rim locks", I have them on my Kawa & Fuelie!

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,273 Posts
Two nuts hold if screwed tightly against each other, just like a bearing cone and the nut it seats against A single nut screwed just against the rim often backs off, especially on a rim with a rounded profile.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
33g according to the kitchen scale. Well within the UCI rules for bell compass attachment for handlebars (Rule UCI104.53.21.b).

Of course if I opted for the carbon fiber unit it would have ben under the UCI limit. 😂

View attachment 479721
If the UCI determines that you attached the bell solely to deflect the un-aeroness of your knuckle, then you could be DQ'd from any UCI-sanctioned MUT rides.

My brother gave me this bell a few years ago. We have family in Hildesheim and I've been there several times, so it's sentimental, but this bell is a boat anchor and I won't ride with it because I'm sure it weighs 3x 33 grams. And it's ultra-un-aero. And I use bells on three of my bikes. Yet I will never part with this bell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the UCI determines that you attached the bell solely to deflect the un-aeroness of your knuckle, then you could be DQ'd from any UCI-sanctioned MUT rides.

My brother gave me this bell a few years ago. We have family in Hildesheim and I've been there several times, so it's sentimental, but this bell is a boat anchor and I won't ride with it because I'm sure it weighs 3x 33 grams. And it's ultra-un-aero. And I use bells on three of my bikes. Yet I will never part with this bell.
View attachment 479724
I guess when it comes to bells one has to compare the loudness of the bell against the weight. If there was a 1kg bell, that would keep fools in cars from running me over, I’d put two of them on my handlenbar. Today, it was BMW Bruh, with his dog riding shotgun. He deciding to swing a u-turn with our looking in his mirrors. I had enough distance behind to slow down and avoid him, but if I was an F150 at the same speed, he would be pricing out replacement airbags.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Time ATAC pedals
Cateye Strada slim computer
Rim brakes
seat bag with tubes, tools, CO2 carts
White Industries T11 hubs (4 out of 5)
Sapim cxray spokes (4 out of 5)

·
your god hates me
1,548 Posts
Huh... I am apparently incapable of maintaining 100% consistency across all my bikes in terms of any component!

There are some generalities that are consistent; e.g.,
- every bike has Speedplay Frog pedals...except one of them has the Titanium spindles, one has the CroMo spindles, and two of them have the Stainless Steel spindles
- every bike has a saddlebag containing (2) tubes, a multitool, and a pair of tire levers ...except there are two different brands of levers, three or four different brands of tools, and two different brands of saddlebag
- every bike has a pump mount that fits between the bottlecage and downtube ...but the model of that mount is different on at least one bike, and while I'd like to have a Topeak Road Morph G on all bikes, there's this dinky Serfas mini-pump on my gravel/commuter bike that just won't die so I keep it around.
- While I do have a preferred go-to saddle, I'm so adaptable that even that isn't consistent; the stock saddle that came on my 2018 CAADX was close enough to what I like that I never bothered to replace it, and when the saddle on my 2006 Synapse finally self-destructed I just pulled a spare something-or-other from my wife's discard pile and said "Oh, this one's not too uncomfortable, I'll ride this."

So yeah, I got nuthin'

41 - 57 of 57 Posts