Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Stupid Cateye is Clicking

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  zooog 
#1 · (Edited)
I started hearing this clicking noise coming from my fork area and it started to drive me crazy. I listened to my front hub, but it wasn't there. I thought it might be the brake rubbing, but nope, good clearance and a perfectly true wheel. Turns out, everytime the magnet passes the sensor on the fork for the computer, it makes a click. This did not happen on my old cateye I had on my MTB (which is no more thanks to the hot Phoenix sun).

So whats the deal? Is this normal? Do I have a dud? If it is normal, this computer is going the way of the dinosaurs and I will get a GPS system instead. I mean seriously, that click seems to just amplify through my frame.

#2 ·
JAragon said:
I started hearing this clicking noise coming from my fork area and it started to drive me crazy. I listened to my front hub, but it wasn't there. I thought it might be the brake rubbing, but nope, good clearance and a perfectly true wheel. Turns out, everytime the magnet passes the sensor on the fork for the computer, it makes a click. This did not happen on my old cateye I had on my MTB (which is no more thanks to the hot Phoenix sun).

So whats the deal? Is this normal? Do I have a dud? If it is normal, this computer is going the way of the dinosaurs and I will get a GPS system instead. I mean seriously, that click seems to just amplify through my frame.

This may sound too stupid to be the issue... are you sure that the magnet and sensor aren't making contact? It can definitely happen, especially after a bike has been transported.

#5 ·
My Cateye Astrale 8 (wired) uses the sensor system that TerryB describes; although it isn't loud enough that I've ever heard it while riding. Of course, my sensors are on my rear wheel and crankarm; it's unlikely I'd be able to hear them, but if your's are on your fork, it could be a different matter.

#6 ·
Thanks for the information. I guess I will just have to live with it for now. I guess I never heard it on the MTB because the knobbies make too much noise. This roadbike is so quiet and smooth (relative to the MTB) that any little thing I hear immediately. Its definitely a new experience for me.

#7 ·
Its ok

I have the same noise, from my polar sensor.
Friend of mine told my to spray the sensor with anti electronic spray, as they use in electronic factory & noise goes away.

I try & its work.

JAragon said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.