Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, complete newbie questions, but needs be asked. I'm installing all campy on my new bike and have come to the chain, normall with my shimano setup I just buy the sram chains that has the power links. But since sram doesn't make a campy 10spd chain I decided to buy a veloce 10spd chain and got a Wimperman Connex link but it says that it's 6.2mm, my veloce chain is 5.9mm. Will this still work? Also, I tried instead installing the chain with the pin given to me however I snapped the pin guide when trying to install it, any other way to get that in there?

Thanks,
DAve

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
don't be so sure...

The connex link is made to use with the older, wider campy 10 chain. In this application it works perfectly. The new ultra narrow chain is .25mm or .010 inch narrower across the inner sideplates (.145 inch instead of .155 inch). That makes the connex link a sloppy fit.

It will probably work, but most likely the shimano version would fit better. So far, no shimano owner has volunteered accurate info on the shimano version of the connex link. I plan to buy one soon, since I have one of the new ultra narrow chains.

You can also just use a regular chain tool and install the campy HD-L pin. The only trick is to drape the cahin around the BB shell to eliminate any tension on the chain while installing the pin, from the left side, per campy's instructions.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Use your thumb

C-40 said:
You can also just use a regular chain tool and install the campy HD-L pin. The only trick is to drape the cahin around the BB shell to eliminate any tension on the chain while installing the pin, from the left side, per campy's instructions.
I also found this Park tip helps along with draping the chain. See picture of the thumb holding everything in alignment.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

Park said:
It is especially important with the Park Tool chain tools to press downward on the chain at rivet to keep in fully engaged. In the image below, the thumb presses down on the chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts