Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the stupidest thing youve seen on a bike this year?

My nomination goes to the woman cycling the wrong way through Central Park, without a helmet, bags from shopping hanging all over, and a kid on the back!!!

A close second goes to the guy riding without helmet, gloves, and bar plugs while playing guitar (electric)!

· Registered
635 Posts
hey, i forgo gloves rather often! seriouslly sometimes they are just too hot, and if its smooth roads then i really dont have a huge need for them.

my nomination goes to the guy with no helmet, gloves, or shirt, riding no handed over rough roads (with platform pedals i think)....i dont know how he couldnt fall

· I drank what?
3,240 Posts
dfleck said:
Guy that showed up to a local race with a T-mobile kit.
A cat 4...
I understand how he came off looking like a poser, but that very well may have been his only kit/jersey. I'd give him a pass.

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
j__h said:
I understand how he came off looking like a poser, but that very well may have been his only kit/jersey. I'd give him a pass.
Doesn't Cat4 mean he's already done a few mass-start events, even if he was last? I find it hard to believe he didn't have ANY other kit.

Of course, I also find it hard to believe that he wouldn't know that showing up for a race in the kit of a real team, to which you don't belong, it just NOT done.

9,419 Posts
CC09 said:
hey, i forgo gloves rather often! seriouslly sometimes they are just too hot, and if its smooth roads then i really dont have a huge need for them.
I like it--if it's just too hot, I'll decide not to fall off!

Change out those winter ski gloves for lightweight cycling gloves and they won't be so hot.

Seriously, though, there's a lot more than bumpy road that can make you fall off your bike, and IMO, that's what gloves are really about--being there when you fall.

· I am no Guide
571 Posts
The crazyest bicycle thing I have seen this year is the marked increae in the number of people rinding bikes. I am not talking about the new hobby rider here. I am talking about people that are riding bikes because they have no other choice to get arround in a effective manner.

On the lighter side of things though the one Iiked best was the guy with the two cases of beer (24 Bottles each). One in the basket on the front, and the other ballanced on the top tube, riding down the side walk steering the bike with one hand, ballancing the the second case with the other, and still mannaged to have a smoke between his lips.

Now that is hard core!

· I drank what?
3,240 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Doesn't Cat4 mean he's already done a few mass-start events, even if he was last? I find it hard to believe he didn't have ANY other kit.

Of course, I also find it hard to believe that he wouldn't know that showing up for a race in the kit of a real team, to which you don't belong, it just NOT done.
Don't ge me wrong, I agree with you. I was just trying to bend over backwards to give them the benefit of the doubt. Then again there's no way in hell I'd show up in a pro team kit to a race.

Just got a pro team kit and feel like a bit of a poser even when I wear it out on recreational rides. Then again, I got it very inexpensively and its a nice looking kit, so screw it I like wearing it.. :D

· Registered
453 Posts
Doctor Who said:
I haven't worn my gloves in months, as they've gone MIA, and I'm too poor to buy new ones. And by forgoing gloves, I'm somehow being stupid?

I don't get it.
Think road rash. FWIW you can pick up a cheap pair for ~$6 at most online vendors.

9,419 Posts
spongebartstatepants said:
take 'er easy on the glovelessness and team kit wearing, the former is cheaper than buying gloves and the old postal service jersey was the cheapest shirt at the lbs and until just last week that's all i had
Hey--I wear team kit. Well, I have a couple of CSC jerseys, anyway, and I don't race at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing team kit--shows you're a fan of the team, just like wearing an Orlando Magic jersey at a pickup hoops game shows you like the team, and nothing more.

Wearing the kit of a team you don't ride for at a competitive event is a completely different thing. Would you excuse it if he'd worn the kit of a small local team that had competitors in the race, even though he was an unaffiliated rider? What if T-Mobile had riders in another race at that event? It's just bad form, and something an even remotely experienced rider would know about, that's all I'm saying.

As to glovelessness, I'm criticizing the behavior, not the person. Being unable to afford gloves does not suddenly make going without them a good idea. They are there to protect your hands, and having a "good" reason for not wearing them will not magically protect your hands without gloves.

· Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
tubafreak said:
Think road rash. FWIW you can pick up a cheap pair for ~$6 at most online vendors.
Oh, I know how gloves can prevent against road rash and how they make a long ride considerably more comfortable. In fact, I just found my pair of Specialized Pro gloves with the awesome padding, and I'll be wearing them on tonight's ride.

But the point of what I was saying before, is that not wearing gloves is definitely not grounds for calling someone a "stupid" rider. In fact, I'd almost consider it inconsequential, barring the potential for road rash on the hands, and absorption of vibration.

Anyway, wanna hear a really stupid example of cyclist behavior? I have a friend who rides a fixed-gear daily - he's out commuting, racing in alleycats and cruising with dudes late at night. But the thing is, is that he rides brakeless in a HILLY city and without a helmet.

Now, that's dumb, and I've told him so numerous times. I guess he wants to go for some kind of '133T bragging rights, so he ignores reason and risks his life for his passion. Whatever.

· I drank what?
3,240 Posts
I think the dumbest thing I've seen as far as riding is concerned were these children riding down the wrong side of the street with no parent in sight. kids were like 5 and 8

Not knocking the children, but am knocking the parents.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I don't wear gloves. Don't like them.

Dumbest thing i've seen is some overweight guy riding a $4k Colnago with hairy legs and no gloves wearing an ipod. Oh wait...that's me...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.