Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on consolidating 3 bikes into one- 2 of which serve pretty much the same purpose, 1 of which I just don't ride enough to justify keeping.

Thinking about using some of the proceeds to build up a new MTB/all-arounder (heavy on the all-arounder).

So far, I'm liking 3 frames-
The Singular Peregrine- the least MTB-ish of the 3, also the prettiest.

The Rawland Ravn- the middle path, love the insane amount of options for building it up, also nicely detailed.

The Salsa Fargo- the most MTBish of the 3, also the ugliest.

Figure drop bars and as many vintage parts as I can get away with.

Anyone have any experience on any of these frames they'd like to share?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Fuzzy can probably tell you everything you want/need to know about the Singular.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
mtb's=sound and fury signifying nothing.

HTH

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
I've actually been lucky enough to build all three[ok, not the Ravn, but a Drakkar and Sogn] of those.

The Ravn differs from the other two in wheel size. 26" vs 700 for the other two.

The Fargo, and the Peregrine are actually closer to each other than you'd think. the differences will be subtle, with the fargo being a more capable off roader, and the Peregrine being more capable on road. Put them on an average mountain bike trail, and they'll both shine.

From there, its all about details. braze ons, tire size, looks, etc.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NUTT said:
Gunnar Rock Tour. Check it out.
I love the rock tour in the sense that getting one would mean that all my bikes were made in the USA, but it's pretty pricey for a bike that's going to spend the bulk of it's life running to the grocery store or riding in the winter...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unclefuzzy_ss said:
I've actually been lucky enough to build all three[ok, not the Ravn, but a Drakkar and Sogn] of those.

The Ravn differs from the other two in wheel size. 26" vs 700 for the other two.

The Fargo, and the Peregrine are actually closer to each other than you'd think. the differences will be subtle, with the fargo being a more capable off roader, and the Peregrine being more capable on road. Put them on an average mountain bike trail, and they'll both shine.

From there, its all about details. braze ons, tire size, looks, etc.
D'oh! meant the Drakkar. Probably a high school cologne related mental block.

Got any thoughts on the Drakkar?

One of these days I'm going to have to come down and ride a peregrine- I do like the idea that of the 3, it's the one I could actually try out.

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
ha! I can't help bu think of the cologne every time I talk about the bike. Of the bike itself, its very nice. Lots of really nice details. And the paint is beautiful. The one thing I don't like about it is how looooooong the drop outs are. makes for hard to change flats.

We could meet in the middle perhaps at one of the WI cross races or something to that effect. How tall are you? I have a L and a M built up for testing.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unclefuzzy_ss said:
ha! I can't help bu think of the cologne every time I talk about the bike. Of the bike itself, its very nice. Lots of really nice details. And the paint is beautiful. The one thing I don't like about it is how looooooong the drop outs are. makes for hard to change flats.

We could meet in the middle perhaps at one of the WI cross races or something to that effect. How tall are you? I have a L and a M built up for testing.
6'2" with short legs... You ever have any issues with the max tire size on rocky trails?

I've earned a whole lotta extra child care points lately, so spending a day driving down would be no problem.

I agree with you on those long drop-outs. Changing a tire on my 1x1 was hard enough and blue mounds is pretty much a flat generator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts