Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know you've got 'em...

Why are stoopid people tolerated? Do they make intelligent people feel smarter? Shouldn't they eventually be replaced with smarter people?

Rant on!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Did some punk piss in yer coffee earlier? If so, biatch slap him in front of everyone and yell "Stay away from my junk!"

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uzziefly said:
Did some punk piss in yer coffee earlier? If so, biatch slap him in front of everyone and yell "Stay away from my junk!"

As they say, "the world needs ditch diggers too." I just can't understand why stoopid people are kept on?

Perhaps the economic downturn is a good time to get rid of them?

I know that sounds cold, but they've gotta learn somehow...

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
You know what has been blowing my mind? Watching so-called "professional" coworkers who haven't a clue how to type. We just replaced a failed sales manager, and I have had to dig through his emails to follow-up with various agreements set up in the pre-contract phase. Most of these are undocumented. Then it hit me--- the abysmally brief emails are due to an inability to type. I'm not saying it is stupid--- but in this age of the "knowledge worker" it is akin to being illiterate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Why are they tolerated?

Because they have tenure and can't be fired.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
firstrax said:
They didn't ask to be stupid.
ROTFLMFAO!

True, but they didn't do enough to prevent it either...

At some point, Darwinism should have an impact and boom, the weak (stoopid) should eventually disappear?

My guess is there are certain jobs that still need to be done that don't require intelligence? So, the intelligent don't flock to those positions and society doesn't force the stupid people to change.

But then downturns in our economy occur, and "weak" employees almost always get wacked first. The "weak" then seek an education in order to return to the workforce. They then develop critical thinking skills that prevent them from being on the short list the next time layoffs occur.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
filtersweep said:
You know what has been blowing my mind? Watching so-called "professional" coworkers who haven't a clue how to type. We just replaced a failed sales manager, and I have had to dig through his emails to follow-up with various agreements set up in the pre-contract phase. Most of these are undocumented. Then it hit me--- the abysmally brief emails are due to an inability to type. I'm not saying it is stupid--- but in this age of the "knowledge worker" it is akin to being illiterate.
There's no excuse for poorly written email/docs...etc. But do you honestly believe it was his inability to type? Aren't sales managers always given high sales targets to meet? Perhaps he was too busy, and when sales started to dry up, he focused on other aspects of his job?

IMO, sales inevitably dry up. It's only a matter of time. And it's not always the fault of the sales manager, i.e. the current economy?

For long term careers, sales is the suxxors! It's something you do for a little while, then move into the managerial side where you criticize and fire other poor saps for not meeting their sales goals. Fun! :yikes:

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BikeProf said:
Why are they tolerated?

Because they have tenure and can't be fired.
Ah yes, academia! A lot depends upon the institution, and how the profs battle over their domain.

I have to say, most of my profs were good. They were definitely experts in their field. It was most (not all) of the TAs who were the suxxors! Especially 1st year TAs. Kind of a screwed up system if ya ask me. Lets give a kid who doesn't know how to teach, and doesn't really wanna teach, the responsibility of teaching and see what happens... :yikes:

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Tenure is a bunch of BS.. your worth shouldn't be decided on a the fact you've been there a while and are locked in. I've seen so many worthless profs and teachers that it sickens me. The best teachers end up carrying the rest. Not fair to the staff or students.

Stooopid people exist to make the rest of us feel better. Simple.. I might not be a rocket scientist being a lowly computer geek but your reasoning ability isn't based off the piece of fancy paper you have.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ZoSoSwiM said:
Stooopid people exist to make the rest of us feel better. Simple.. ...
LOL!

Also gives intelligent people room for advancement.

Although, if a tenure system is structured properly, i.e., requiring profs to publish, with milestones and course loads...etc. I think the institution can keep their faculty working and contributing for quite some time.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Because the workplace is built on the Bell Curve with no consequences.

My joint has a ranking system that we apply every year. The top performers are rewarded and the bottom performers recieve negative messages that eventually lead to them being fired. And we are held to quotas, we don't hit the distributions, we get yelled at. And if we still refuse (because believe it or not it is possible to have a hand picked team of top performers) the next level of management will assign negative message to someone who might not deserve it by their performance, but rather by their relative performance.

Systems like this work for a while, until you've pared off all the underachievers and you're left with a high performing team which can't logically be rated the same way. But every year we try and so the bar creeps up.

The problem with launching all the stupid people is threefold. First, most companies do not have an institutionalized process like ours, and it's hard to fire people these days without a lot of data demonstrating their lack. Second, human nature makes it very hard for managers to fire people, it's easier to ignore them and hope that someday they will leave. And lastly, someone has to do the less challenging work. Every organization has work that has to be done that higher performers don't want to do.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Not in this line of work--- contracts are generally all in the 6-figures plus range-- so sales cycles are very slow. They take months to develop--- usually with massive tender documents. Besides, he was on the managerial side.

Even if I spend an hour on the phone speaking to someone, I still send a lengthy follow-up email to "archive" the conversation, and to give the recipient something to pass around internally. When he started the job, he told me all of the things we would NOT do. It was amazing. It is not a recipe to get ahead in the world.

Finally, this bozo was generally playing computer games, surfing the net, reading the news, etc. whenever I walked by his office. There was no way he was too busy. He was a lazy schmoozing freeloader. And in his absence, I have to do his job, as well as my own.

spyderman said:
There's no excuse for poorly written email/docs...etc. But do you honestly believe it was his inability to type? Aren't sales managers always given high sales targets to meet? Perhaps he was too busy, and when sales started to dry up, he focused on other aspects of his job?

IMO, sales inevitably dry up. It's only a matter of time. And it's not always the fault of the sales manager, i.e. the current economy?

For long term careers, sales is the suxxors! It's something you do for a little while, then move into the managerial side where you criticize and fire other poor saps for not meeting their sales goals. Fun! :yikes:

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
It took a while, but finally dawned on me that YES, there really are that many stupid people in this world. The fact is, there's a shortage of non-stupid people, so offices are filled with them.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
spyderman said:
You know you've got 'em...

Why are stoopid people tolerated? Do they make intelligent people feel smarter? Shouldn't they eventually be replaced with smarter people?

Rant on!
Stupid coworkers are no threat. Insecure people would rather tolerate a useless non-threat, rather than a competent worker who is perceived as a threat. I just wish I had the patience and consistency to selectively project incompetence to the insecure and competence to the secure.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Tenure is a bunch of BS.. your worth shouldn't be decided on a the fact you've been there a while and are locked in. I've seen so many worthless profs and teachers that it sickens me. The best teachers end up carrying the rest. Not fair to the staff or students.

Stooopid people exist to make the rest of us feel better. Simple.. I might not be a rocket scientist being a lowly computer geek but your reasoning ability isn't based off the piece of fancy paper you have.
Tenure has value for certain organizations. In an organization that has zero respect for human dignity, tenure can indicate that a person is willing to eat any amount of sh!t forced down his throat. That's a very valuable resource for companies that thrive on feeding their workforce sh!t sandwiches.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
I live in Omaha, that should be enough said but a quick example. My wife as at Ace True Value for something or other and one of the employees was smoking on break. That's dumb granted, but what put it over the top was he was next to the propane tanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts