Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) While out on my downhill bike in Auburn, I see alot of roadies climbing out from the North fork to Forresthill Rd. At the stop sign, I have seen people turn right and keep going. What's that way? How far out can you go? Is it rollers or steep climbs? I never go past the OHV and when I am done riding for the day, I am too friggin tired to drive that way and find out. Not too mention I want to get home to see my wife and 8 month old son.

2) I gave up the road bike last summer (meaning I wasn't putting in at least 80 miles a week) due to DH racing and for the '06 season I want to really get back on it. I know when building up a base you should do it slowly, etc, etc. What about hills while building this base? Can I throw some hills in while slowly building up or should I wait? I love climbing up Park Dr in Rocklin but since it's been awhile, should I really wait till I have a few hundred miles on the odometer first?

Sorry for the stupid q's but I am starting to feel the pressure of the '06 season and I would like to put up some good stats.

Just in case anyone asks......no that isn't me that tries to get too close in my car, make stupid comments, yell out the window or throws things at people.

Thanks for the help.

J_B

·
Registered
189 Posts
J_B said:
2) I gave up the road bike last summer (meaning I wasn't putting in at least 80 miles a week) due to DH racing and for the '06 season I want to really get back on it. I know when building up a base you should do it slowly, etc, etc. What about hills while building this base? Can I throw some hills in while slowly building up or should I wait? I love climbing up Park Dr in Rocklin but since it's been awhile, should I really wait till I have a few hundred miles on the odometer first?
Always going easy during base - very old schoolish. If you are a master you probably should never take a whole lot of time off because it takes too long to get the edge back. You should probably ask this question in the training forum, not the NorCal forum.

·
Registered
456 Posts
J_B said:
1) While out on my downhill bike in Auburn, I see alot of roadies climbing out from the North fork to Forresthill Rd. At the stop sign, I have seen people turn right and keep going. What's that way? How far out can you go? Is it rollers or steep climbs? I never go past the OHV and when I am done riding for the day, I am too friggin tired to drive that way and find out. Not too mention I want to get home to see my wife and 8 month old son.
I'm asuming you're talking about where highway 49 crosses the river, right? I've never been up-river from that junction, but it goes up about 2-3 miles to North Fork Lake, winds up the hill to Squaw ridge, and then on some more. I got this from looking at a topo. When I lived in the area (Weimar) I wasn't in to cycling, but now can only dream about all the great riding around there--lots of hills!!! Hope this helps.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts