Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are they?

From what I can remember, there was this one time about 5 years ago, I was out in the rain and my older Nokia 6230 phone did get wet, despite being in my pocket.

So, when I got home, I was just mentioning it to my dad and he suggested I dry it with some heat or something like that.

For whatever reason, I put it in the microwave and saw sparks once I hit the start button.

Poof! Phone got fried and that's the end of it.

IIRC, my dad meant drying it very lightly in the oven maybe or something like that.

So there, I busticated a pretty expensive phone. My dad was kind enough to get a replacement for me in time though.

Really stupid indeed. How the hell did I not realize microwaves would fry a phone???!

What are your lists of shenanigans? This IS the lounge so I expect to hear some nice tales :p

Oh yeah, there was this other time, a few years back, when I first used clipless pedals (road pedals at that fwiw). I came up near a curb and unclipped my left foot but leaned right.

BAM! My right knee hit the edge of the curb and it split right open. I needed 2 or 3 stitches. Oh and, I actually still went for track practice that day, only with a very bloody leg of course.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
FURST...

stupidest thing.... argued with Kerry Irons?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JustTooBig said:
FURST...

stupidest thing.... argued with Kerry Irons?
Loozer. Surely there are worse things you've done. ;)

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
uzziefly said:
Loozer. Surely there are worse things you've done. ;)
ya think so? good catch, Capt. Obvious.

I'm just trying to mentally sort through the expansive volumes filled with stupid things I've done to come up with the 'best'...

and stop calling me Shirley.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
chased a pig around the yard.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JustTooBig said:
ya think so? good catch, Capt. Obvious.

I'm just trying to mentally sort through the expansive volumes filled with stupid things I've done to come up with the 'best'...

and stop calling me Shirley.
Shaddup Lieutenant Shirley Moreon. :D

·
It's complexicated
1,418 Posts
I've done many stupid things, but I had a real shining moment 3 days before Christmas '07. The Better Half, aka VaughnA and I were mtb riding w/ 2 friends. We'd been riding 3+ hours and I was tired so I lagged behind some. I heard from over the next whoop-di-doo, "Go right. We all made it. You can too." So I shot down into the dip and went right, yeah, too far right, and right onto some wet roots. Before I knew it I was going back into the gully upside down and backwards. Then my ankle caught in said roots and snapped off the end of my flibula. The quote of the day was from the same friend who said, "I knew somethin' wuz wrong when I seen her laying face down in the leaves." I was in a cast and on crutches for about 3 months. Whoohoo, fun times. From now on, I choose my own line!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Missus said:
I've done many stupid things, but I had a real shining moment 3 days before Christmas '07. The Better Half, aka VaughnA and I were mtb riding w/ 2 friends. We'd been riding 3+ hours and I was tired so I lagged behind some. I heard from over the next whoop-di-doo, "Go right. We all made it. You can too." So I shot down into the dip and went right, yeah, too far right, and right onto some wet roots. Before I knew it I was going back into the gully upside down and backwards. Then my ankle caught in said roots and snapped off the end of my flibula. The quote of the day was from the same friend who said, "I knew somethin' wuz wrong when I seen her laying face down in the leaves." I was in a cast and on crutches for about 3 months. Whoohoo, fun times. From now on, I choose my own line!
Yeoch!!!

Oh I didn't know you're Vaughn's wife. Hai!!!

Wilkommen to ze Lounge!!!

Mmmmm, that's not so stupid IMO. I'd probably listen to someone too if I were MTB-ing since I've never done that before.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
1) Went on a first date to a comedy club...
One of the comics had an intersting subject... my dates' father.
No second date...

2) The rest of my life...

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
in college, the fire alarm had gone off for the 4th or 5th time that night. as i was walking down the hall to evacuate AGAIN and in my pissed and groggy state, I punched a wall. said wall had the elevator shaft behind it. wall 1, hand 0.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chain said:
1) Went on a first date to a comedy club...
One of the comics had an intersting subject... my dates' father.
No second date...

2) The rest of my life...
Damn! Well, that wasn't your fault. I bet you still Lol'ed when you already knew though.

·
Proud luddite
7,225 Posts
When I was a kid I heard that you could squeeze a hard boiled egg as hard as you could and it wouldn't break, so I thought I'd try it out myself. We didn't have any hard boiled eggs so I used my parents' antique, hand-painted Ukranian egg. Big mistake. :(

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
azpeterb said:
When I was a kid I heard that you could squeeze a hard boiled egg as hard as you could and it wouldn't break, so I thought I'd try it out myself. We didn't have any hard boiled eggs so I used my parents' antique, hand-painted Ukranian egg. Big mistake. :(
D'oh!

When I was a kid, I've always wanted to break an egg over my head so one day, I actually did and left a mess on the floor. I used my blankie/pillow to wipe it and my mom was just laughing and not mad at all.

//I still break hard boiled eggs on my head on rare occasions now just for fun. Yes I'm serious. And yeah, I know it's weird.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I had been in Taiwan for about a month and was making profound observations on group identity among foreigners from around the world as a single community, bordering on "ethnic group". I was telling an English guy about shared culture from being foreigners etc... and the tales that get passed down.

The example I gave was of the story I had heard of the drunk guy who was locked out of his apartment and tried to climb in the window on the 14th floor. He fell to his death while his girlfriend stood and watched.

About a month later I found out I had just recounted that story to the younger brother of the deceased.

I still see him on occasion and still feel like such an *******.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
The summer between 8th & 9th grades, I went to a really nice country-club pool with a couple of friends... when I took my cover-up t-shirt off, I realized that I'd only put the top of my two piece on and was still wearing panties as a bottom. I laugh about it now, but at the time, it was pretty mortifying

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
uzziefly said:
Damn! Well, that wasn't your fault. I bet you still Lol'ed when you already knew though.
I had to laugh. Her father was a teacher and known to be alittle overboard. The comedian was spot-on. The date.... not so much.

·
Registered
272 Posts
These are just starters

Accidently touched generator(?) belt my VW Bug while working on it on the shoulder in between Arlington and Darrington. Ripped all the skin off the end of my finger. Still didn't get my bug running and had to hitchhike back to Bellingham with a bloody hand.

Decided to hitchhike from Bellingham to DC in January with $30 in my pocket.

Leaving all my gear in the car, including my glasses and shoes, while resting in a hotel room with my ride while hitchhiking from DC to Denver. Had to have $25 wired to me to buy a pair of shoes to wear while hitchiking back to DC from Indianapolis. Spent the next night sleeping in the weeds by the side of they highway. Luckily it was warm.

·
Registered
778 Posts
1. Slept with a woman I worked with. I was 19 at the time. I pursued her for about a month and as soon as it happened, I lost interest. It was all about the conquest. Of course, I had to continue to work with her, until she left about 6 months later. Very uncomfortable...

2. My grandparents owned a farm - hogs and crops. During harvest season, I was driving empty trucks out to the fields and driving full ones back to the farm to dump the grain. I pulled out of the dump shed with the truck bed still in its full upright position. Came within a cat's whisker of snagging the truckbed on a guidewire and pulling down the entire grain elevator. I was 14 at the time.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts