Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a new Roubaix this week and probably want to move away from my current method of 'lean the bike against whatever is close' method of storage in the garage.

So what's the best, sturdiest stand to be had? I see the Feedback Sports looks popular https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Wall space is nonexistent so no luck with hanging it on wall and i'm not digging ceiling storage either.

Are there better options than the feedback? Last thing I want is the bike falling over on the concrete.

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
I built one of these last week (not my plans). PVC Bike Rack
Costs under $10. Works pretty well. It holds the bike fine, but not the sturdiest if you were to say bump into it. It's in my basement so not a problem. If in a garage, I may go the next size larger pipe or maybe a wider base.
It works well enough that I just went to Home Depot today for materials to build another one.

You could also link multiple ones together

There's also this one which looks super sturdy.
https://grandmastertriandfly.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/a-bike-stand/

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Reconsider wall space. With the bike hanging by its front wheel, it doesn't take up much room. There's a 12-inch space between my mower and my workbench, which is more than enough to slot my bike in. The rear wheel is off the ground about an inch so the bike can hang securely with its weight pulling against the $2.99 hook.

Attachments

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have built 4 of these (the lower one with the Felt bike ) and l like them alot. I had to modify it a little but same idea. They work Great.

I built one of these last week (not my plans). PVC Bike Rack
Costs under $10. Works pretty well. It holds the bike fine, but not the sturdiest if you were to say bump into it. It's in my basement so not a problem. If in a garage, I may go the next size larger pipe or maybe a wider base.
It works well enough that I just went to Home Depot today for materials to build another one.

You could also link multiple ones together

There's also this one which looks super sturdy.
https://grandmastertriandfly.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/a-bike-stand/
I

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I didn't already have a bike work stand, I'd get this if it's compatible with your crankset(it may not be compatible. There's a chart at the link with that info, but I don't know how up to date it is):
https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/scorpion-tall-candy-apple-green/
It's a little pricey, but it would be more useful than the typical storage stand.

I have the Feedback Rakk that you linked in the original message. It's a good stand. I have too many bikes for it to fulfill my storage requirements--I have a 4-bike tower stand inside the house that takes care of most of that, but I use the Rakk in my garage when I lube chains. I like that it folds up because I only have a one-car garage without much extra space. My work stand is also from Feedback and I have no complaints about either product.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input all.

I don't see overwhelming 'this stand is awesome, never drop a bike ever!' statements on any product so I think i'll do the DIY thing with some 2x2 wood and maybe some trailer bunk carpet. i'll post a pic here once it's done.

Is everyone cool with the hook on the wall thing? I thought that might be less than ideal for a carbon road bike but never really considered WHY I thought that.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Thanks for the input all.

I don't see overwhelming 'this stand is awesome, never drop a bike ever!' statements on any product so I think i'll do the DIY thing with some 2x2 wood and maybe some trailer bunk carpet. i'll post a pic here once it's done.

Is everyone cool with the hook on the wall thing? I thought that might be less than ideal for a carbon road bike but never really considered WHY I thought that.
sturdy rack and never drops the bike.... Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Done it for 30-odd years with never a problem with all sorts of bikes, including carbon. But you're right about asking others, there may be something I'm missing.

Mechanically, the front wheel rim pulls against the hook with a maximum force of the bike weight, probably a little less. That force is transferred to the dropout and into the fork. Contrast that with a 150-lb rider getting out of the saddle, leaning forward and swinging the bike left-right during a sprint or when climbing hard.

The rear wheel lightly touches the wall with what I estimate about 2 lbs. of force. When it does so, it leaves a little mark, and 30 years worth of that mark makes for an interesting little image. The next owner of the house will never be able to figure it out.... :)

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
Done it for 30-odd years with never a problem with all sorts of bikes, including carbon. But you're right about asking others, there may be something I'm missing.
Yup. I've hung all sorts of bikes from hooks with no problems. The weight of the bike is pretty insignificant compared to weight of a rider.

The only thing I'd worry about is hanging a bike by an aero carbon wheel. On some aero carbon wheels, the inside is just wind faring and not real strong.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
my girl has a nice rack, I'll see if I can get a pic.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Yup. I've hung all sorts of bikes from hooks with no problems.
Yup. I currently have 2 cross bikes, two-full sus MTBs, and two road bikes all hanging by their rear wheels from hooks in my garage ceiling. There's also a tandem MTB hanging from both of its wheels. We hung countless bikes like that at the LBS that I used to work for. No problems, ever.

As mentioned earlier, hanging from the ceiling leaves room for stuff on the floor and really maximizes space. I'd suggest you reconsider parking your bike on the floor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I'll look for wall space.

I do like that bike rack model chain posted. I'd maybe drop the pink accents.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
...hanging from the ceiling leaves room for stuff on the floor and really maximizes space. I'd suggest you reconsider parking your bike on the floor.
Unless the ceilings are low. My garage has 8' ceilings - hanging a bike leaves no useful room under them. I had a few hanging on the ceiling (both wheels on the ceiling) for a while - along the back. It was kind of a pain in the ass, to get the back bikes down. Now, they're on the wall like they're on display - upright, flat against the wall on those $10 brackets that hold the frame. Much nicer - looks good, easy access, best use of (my) space. YMMV

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have my bikes hanging from hooks on the garage ceiling. No issues and are pretty much out of the way.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought the adjustable shelf spines from Lowes and the 18" arms that you stick in the spine. Then put some plumbing pipe foam on the arms for the bike frame to rest on. Same system that the retail stores use for their adjustable shelves.

Reactions: craiger_ny

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
I bought the adjustable shelf spines from Lowes and the 18" arms that you stick in the spine. Then put some plumbing pipe foam on the arms for the bike frame to rest on. Same system that the retail stores use for their adjustable shelves.

That's pretty slick!
I like that you can adjust the arms for MTB's and sloping top tubes. If you didn't have 2 levels of bikes, you could add shelves to store gear too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts