Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
MegaExo is the FSA external bearing, threaded BB (like Hollowtech ll).

I'd consider an MTB crankset (XT?) but you'd probably have to buy new chainrings.

That FSA Omega is probably the cheapest option.

Years ago I used chemical remover to take the black paint off a LX crank to better match a touring bike. Worked great and was easy to polish the arms to a mirror finish.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Thanks. Do you happen to know if the FSA crank would be compatible with the Shimano BB I'm using for my Ultegra 6800 crank? If that is the case, then I could just get the thing and occasionally swap out the Shimano crank if I know I am going to need lower gearing.
Great idea!
I've got two FSA MegaExo cranks and was concerned because I've read their BBs don't last (but I've not had any trouble with them so far).
So I bought a 6800 BB and was disappointed that the FSA spindle won't fit because it is .001" bigger than the ID of the bearings.
I will polish that .001 off and use the Shimano BBs.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I worked as a machinist much of my life and won't have any trouble taking that .001" off. I could even chuck them in a lathe at my brother's shop but that won't be necessary.

I bought both the Gossamer and Energy cranks cheap as close-outs from Nashbar a couple of years ago. They don't have them anymore.
I just googled it and didn't find any of the 46/30s but some places that sell the Omega set. You may have to check a lot of sites to find one and I'd email FSA and ask them. The 50/34 on Amazon is only $75.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts