Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are Brooks saddle riders using that is similar in fit?

We got the new tandem in, it comes with the Terry Fly saddle that seems ok but narrow and long. I use Brooks Pro as the saddle of choice on all my other bikes and am thinking of putting one on the tandem.

OTOH there are a lot of good reasons to go with a plastic based saddle for this one.

Ideas?

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Jeebus, MB, you drop more for a bike than a Smart Car would cost (granted, the bike is bigger, can probably haul more and is probably faster, and is certainly 100000% better looking), and you won't drop a few bucks on saddles for it?

BTW, that was quick. I was under the impression you'd be waiting months for that thing.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
For me, the san marco regal and the san marco rolls are a pretty close match for the brooks- the wide flat back on both really feels right, plus they're a bit more weatherproof.

I'm not putting on nearly the kind of miles you are, but so far, they've been pretty nice.

And, this thread is useless without pictures. Let's see this thing!

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
Jeebus, MB, you drop more for a bike than a Smart Car would cost (granted, the bike is bigger, can probably haul more and is probably faster, and is certainly 100000% better looking), and you won't drop a few bucks on saddles for it?

BTW, that was quick. I was under the impression you'd be waiting months for that thing.
Oh, I have a nice broken in Brooks Pro ready to go but we will be doing long tours on the thing with no control over the weather so I am thinking maybe just perhaps I'd use something else.

Pix? As soon as our service is restored at home.

Verizon=Epic Fail!

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
I'd suggest a Swallow bec it's the lightest Brooks, but I was looking the other day and it seems like the price just keeps going up and up and up. I got two last year for $350 each, I think, and now they're closer to $500.

+1 on the Regal.

Also, the Specialized BG saddles are pretty good. That's what I had on my roadie before I put a Swallow on it.

G

·
MB1,

The plastic based saddle that is closest to the Brooks Team Pro , in shape and size (almost identical dimensions) is the San MArco Regal.

The Rolls is the same size as well, but flatter shape across the top.

Depending on what you want for colour , if you decide to go for the Regals, the best place to get them is through Richard Sachs Website.

He has them in Black, White, Red and Blue.

Everywhere else is pretty much just black.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I ride several bikes and have swapped saddles around quite a bit. The B17 is really the most comfortable. Period.

But. I do have a Performance E3 that's good for track and crit b/c my fat thighs don't rub on the inner when in the drops. I've also used Turbo's (do they still make those?) with success, and WTB makes one with a similar shape.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thinkcooper said:
I've fallen for my Terry Fly Ti.
That is what the bike came with but a first sit it was like, "Where is the rest of the thing, it is cutting me in half."

We are doing a 1,500 mile 2-week tour and I feel the need for something a little more substantial umder me.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Own Private Idaho said:
MB1, I'd be surprised if you were happy with anything but a Brooks. I can see you riding a plastic bike, but where the butt meets the leather, I can't see changing.
There is a good chance I will go with the Brooks but at this point I want to explore some options.

· Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
I use a Terry Fly on my mountain bike and it works well for that. They didn't work for me on road bikes, though. They get softer as they get older and seem to sag or compress.. Makes for a painful experience about 60 minutes into a road ride.

I use a SLR on my cross bike and a WTB Rocket V Race on my fixie. WTB seems to have the best fitting line for my butt, though.

· Registered
157 Posts
I just ordered a Selle Anatomica.
https://www.selleanatomica.com/

Like a brooks but with a cutout. It's received really good reviews and they have a model with their "Watershed leather" it's supposed to be waterproof.

I run a B-17 on my commuter and I will probably put this on my endurance mountain bike, but it might see time on the road bike if it's as good as the reviews say it is.

Oh yeah, and it's made in the USA, if that is a consideration.

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
nepbug said:

Like a brooks but with a cutout. It's received really good reviews and they have a model with their "Watershed leather" it's supposed to be waterproof.

I run a B-17 on my commuter and I will probably put this on my endurance mountain bike, but it might see time on the road bike if it's as good as the reviews say it is.

I met the company's founder and lead research engineer (same guy) at Sea Otter a month and change ago, and had a great conversation about his saddles. The saddle was as comfortable as anything I've ever sat on. The cutout seemed to impart more flex than I imagine a traditional brooks would have. The shape really did achieve a saddle-like sag when fully weighted, and seemed to avoid contact with any of the bone sit points I'm used to putting pressure on with all my traditional saddles.

Some day, I'll have to try a Brooks and a Selle Anatomica sprung saddle on long rides to see what all the fuss is about.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
nepbug said:

I know quite a few folks that have gone to these and they all love them. great customer service as well.

· angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
good advice here :thumbsup: ... san marco regal, and some avocet's (like the touring's, but they're no longer in production).

I could see MB1 on a Regal, he is our King, no? :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.