Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all been witness to how the pandemic has changed our lives in the broader, dramatic sense. Just curious what, if any, smaller changes you've noticed as a result of the pandemic and your adjustment to it.

For me, for example, I used to be chronically early to meetings. Usually, I'd be the first one in the room. Now, the thought of sitting in a room with a mask on for any longer than absolutely necessary means that I don't arrive early anymore.

How about you?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'm paranoid whenever I have the slightest itchyness in my throat - which has been pretty much all summer due to wildfire smoke.

My 4 to 8 hour long OSHA/State recertification classes are over Teams which means I can attend from my couch instead of driving 2 hours each way.

I have masks stashed everywhere which is kind of a nuisance since they get tangled with charging chords, my keychain, etc.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
We don't have meetings (in person) anymore. They're all done through Teams now. Which is awesome. Much more productive as I can multitask while listening in. I can even post on RBR while in meetings (y)
Another bonus is you don’t have to hunt for an available conference room.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I also have much better breath from 10:00 am to lunch. Since I WFH I brush my teeth after I’m done with coffee.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, with my job we worked remotely for most of last year, but now we're all back to in-person... waiting for the numbers from the Delta variant to get high enough to shut everything back down again. In the meantime we're required to mask everywhere except when alone in private spaces or outdoors.

Masks and glasses (near-sighted) have me seriously considering Lasik eye surgery.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm paranoid whenever I have the slightest itchyness in my throat - which has been pretty much all summer due to wildfire smoke.
Same here with paranoia. Feeling a sneeze or a throat tickle coming on in a public space always makes me think someone's going to assume I'm symptomatic. The way people look at you when you clear your throat.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,393 Posts
I can say with certainty that people driving on their commute have become more erratic and reckless. Maybe road rage will dissipate now that more things have opened up.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I can say with certainty that people driving on their commute have become more erratic and reckless. Maybe road rage will dissipate now that more things have opened up.
I'm in one of those "used-to-be small towns" that's seeing explosive growth due tele-commuters and other people moving in from urban areas. Aggresive drivers who are unfamiliar with our traffic patterns is just one of the many growing pains - but I wouldn't classify any of them as "subtle".

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nothing that renews my confidence in people being level headed and not over reactive to, well…anything.

My wife says she is glad for our neighbor who freaks out over anything (her boys could not ride bikes ‘cause it was too dangerous). Now many people are just like her.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,904 Posts
I try to stay away from people, but that is nothing new. 37 years ago we moved into the middle of nowhere, surrounded by tree's, deer, squirrels and turkeys in case we needed a running start. I am sorry to say I was right. My philosophy has always been, when you pick a place to spend the rest of your life, you had better be willing to die there.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
We've not gone back to eating out--not a regular occurrence even before, but I think we have been out twice since the restrictions were lifted, and have grabbed take-out pizza a few times.

The two places we have been were also outdoor dining, so there's that.

We also decided not to have group build days at Habitat, just because it would be a hassle to police vax'd/non-vaxed/covid test etc--more work for us, but more manageable too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts