Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody explain to me what this really means? Am I "suffering" and just don't know it? I mean I ride hard - at the Boise Twilight Criterium this summer I couldn't believe that my HR was at 111-113% of LTHR for nearly 40 minutes but was that suffering? Or is there a whole nother realm of cycling/pain that I'm unaware of?

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Dude, that's pure pain cave right there. I have a max HR that I hit this year in a race of 199. But I start really suffering at 185 bpm.

It certainly is different for everyone. I generally equate it to the point when snot and spit are hanging off your chin and lips and you don't give a **** or just don't have the energy to wipe it away. That's suffering.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
It's an "eye of the beholder" thing, but the general connotation is that the pace is fast enough that you are barely hanging on and only sheer willpower is keeping you there.

MaddSkillz got it right.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You see, that's what I'm talking about - I don't think I've ever ridden THAT hard.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I really suffer badly on long and steep climbs. That's when I max my heartrate out, and it hurts the worst.

Also, towards the end of a long road race, if you are in a breakaway, that can hurt pretty badly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Suffering . . .

I think suffering is a learned thing. It is something you learn how to do after putting your body through hell and realizing you came out on the other end just fine (tired but fine)

I remember when I first started racing I did a stage race and after one of the RR I thought "wow I really suffered."

Fast foward 3-5 years . . . What I thought was suffering when I first started now seems like a moderate group ride. Over the years my body has adapted to the pain and I can push to the point of (well almost) no return.

At another stage race, after I'd been racing a while, we were going up a climb and I was really hurting, basically yo-yoing off the back of a 10 person lead group. As we crested the climb, they accelerated and I got gapped by about 2-4 bike lengths.

I sort of had this out of body exeprience where I thought well if I drop a gear and try to close the gap, what's the worst that can happen. I did end up making it back on. We eventually got caught be a bigger group so, in terms of racing, it was all for naught, but in terms of learning to suffer, it set the bar and 5-6 years later, it is still the bar.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
When you think you can't possible hold that wheel 10 more seconds, and then do. Repeat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Coolhand said:
When you think you can't possible hold that wheel 10 more seconds, and then do. Repeat.
This is pretty close, although I think it's worse when you can't hold that wheel, but somehow manage to close the gap. Again, and again, and again.

It's the repeating that's key. Unless you give up multiple times, you aren't really suffering. Giving up once doesn't count.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
spade2you said:
How do you race and not experience this?
I think it's because most races around here usually have a lot of climbing (The one flat race - besides two criteriums - I did last year I won) and all the skinny little turds are gone so there is no wheel for me to try to hold for ten second more. Then I always just ride to finish. I've really been embracing the climbing recently though and I'm about 4-5 minutes off of the fastest guys around here on our big climb so my goal is to get down about 10 more pounds and hopefully I'll be competitive in the local RR's.

Also, I've decided that keeping enough in reserve to finish has grown boring and since a DNF still counts toward upgrading from Cat 5 to 4, next season I plan on attacking (something I've never done in a race) to [email protected] with people's heads. I figure making other people hurt and then DNFing will be more entertaining than just going along for the ride. Besides I figure if I do it enough the attacks will last longer and longer and sooner or later one of them will stick.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
i know i'm suffering when my FOV narrows down and the pounding noise in my ears drowns out my gasping. that and i have to immediately lie down when i get home and off the bike.

i'm not sure i like the whole tunnel-vision thing since i'm out on the road, but i usually back off the effort just a smidge until i recover enough to do it again.

p.s. i don't race, but i sure love chasin'...

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
I consider it the point of exertion where I can feel that if I push more, either cramping or puking type side effects will be on the horizon, but maybe not right away, but I still have enough mentally in reserve to crack a smile to myself if I notice that I've impressed an onlooker during training or an opponent during a race.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I think it's because most races around here usually have a lot of climbing (The one flat race - besides two criteriums - I did last year I won) and all the skinny little turds are gone so there is no wheel for me to try to hold for ten second more.
Ah, sorry about that. :D Although I'm a climber in an area that favors sprint finishes for the most part. :(

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know when I'm suffering because I can feel a distinct tear in my quads (not necessarily painful). At that point I know I am getting to my max and can't push much harder. Oddly enough it doesn't happen to often during races, only during time trials when I sit above LT for just a wee bit too long.

Also I think your HRM was busted (or low battery), to last 110% above LTHR for 40mins is close to impossible/very very difficult.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I can taste blood, it was a hard effort. My last CX race I had that taste in my mouth, I went out fast and hard, pulled the hole shot and held first place for the first lap but was unable to maintain the effort. Post race my spit was so think I could have used it in place of glue.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ghost234 said:
I know when I'm suffering because I can feel a distinct tear in my quads (not necessarily painful). At that point I know I am getting to my max and can't push much harder. Oddly enough it doesn't happen to often during races, only during time trials when I sit above LT for just a wee bit too long.

Also I think your HRM was busted (or low battery), to last 110% above LTHR for 40mins is close to impossible/very very difficult.
Well it wasn't there continually - I could hide in the pack and get sucked along on the front straight and rest but going up the back straight every time I looked at it it was way up there.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts