Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my MTB this winter and don't feel like maintaining one any more. I'd like to do a couple of local MTB races with the cross bike and was looking far a large and hopefully rinch-flat resistent sort of tire. I am using the Maxxis Larsen tire which is decent enough, is there anything that would do a better job in a clincher? I don't think one of those "29-er" MTB tires would be thin enough, correct? I have a regular cross frame with average clearance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Continental Twister Pro 37mm might be your best choice. You're right, most 29'r MTB tires will be too big for your frame to handle. And don't expect any of them to be "pinch--flat resistant." They're 'cross tires after all. If you hit a rock, you'll have troubles.

·
Registered
689 Posts
IRC Mythos

IRC makes the Mythos CX Slick in a bunch of sizes...35 up to 44 i think. Depends on what you can squeeze in between your stays, but I've been using the 42s on single track and like them a lot. The tread is essentially the same as their XC (26'') version, just with slightly less pronounced knobs in the middle. They hook up well in loose dirt and have about as much width as you can get out of a cross tire. Overkill for a typical cross race, but great for hitting the trails.

·
Registered
475 Posts
2nd irc cx mythos

turbomatic73 said:
IRC makes the Mythos CX Slick in a bunch of sizes...35 up to 44 i think. Depends on what you can squeeze in between your stays, but I've been using the 42s on single track and like them a lot. The tread is essentially the same as their XC (26'') version, just with slightly less pronounced knobs in the middle. They hook up well in loose dirt and have about as much width as you can get out of a cross tire. Overkill for a typical cross race, but great for hitting the trails.
I just raced my cross check yeserday fixed and had a 42c irc mythos up front, worked pretty well, but I did pinch flat it, but I was running about 36-38 psi, I probably would have been good at 42 or so, I ran a 35c wtb tire in back cause I was getting a little chainstay run with the 42 and the axle near the front of the dropout. Just be careful.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ritchey Mtn. Cross, if you can find them, would be the way to go. Awesome for what you want. 38mm. If you can find them, stock-up. I like the 37c Conti, but it's kind of narrow for hard-core single track (measures to a 32mm I think).

·
Registered
41 Posts
2 favorites

I do the same sort of riding, my two favorites that hold up really well against sidewall cuts in the rocks-

IRC Mythos CX in 38mm, it actually is 38 mm and wil fit most cross frames.

Maxxis Wormdrive 42mm, more like 39mm in real life, will fit most frames, feels slightly faster than the IRC on smooth roads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Panaracer Fire Cross

I have the 45s and they barely fit in my Tricross frame (plenty of room up front with the fork. They are slow rolling and heavy compared to my other CX tires (Maxxis Locust 35) but have an aggressive tread and more volume to resist pinch flats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts