Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Conti 4000 S tires on my bike and really like them. I did, however, hit a piece of glass and get a nasty flat on my last ride. I don't think any tire would have survived this attack, but what do you guys consider a good tire with both positive performance and durability?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
i tried the GP4ks but i found em too soft, they cut up easily, and once that happens they kept on flatting IME....

I've had better luck w/ vittorias myself, starting from the rubinos on up.... very good flat protection, and the ride of the rubino pros is not that far off the GP4ks IMO.... i will try the higher thread count diamente next tho... i'll see how close that gets to the ideal...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Define "positive performance".
Will you be racing on these?
Will you be hitting turns at 30mph?

If not, just about any tire will do.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Define "positive performance".
Will you be racing on these?
Will you be hitting turns at 30mph?

If not, just about any tire will do.
Positive performance means it doesn't weigh like 300 grams and has low rolling resistance.

Answers:

Nope
Nope

Ok, I think I'll stick with the 4000S and maybe try a set of Vittorias as well.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Best tire

tyro said:
I have been using Conti 4000 S tires on my bike and really like them. I did, however, hit a piece of glass and get a nasty flat on my last ride. I don't think any tire would have survived this attack, but what do you guys consider a good tire with both positive performance and durability?
The hard facts: there's not enough difference between equivalent price point tires from the leading makers to make a choice based on performance. You'll find advocates for every brand, and people reporting bad experiences with every brand. Choose based on color and price. :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I second the Rubino Pro's for all-around riding (120tpi version- NOT the plain Rubino which is different tire). Good all-around tire and a reasonable 230g (23c). Durable, long wearing, decent handling, good rolling resistance... & not too much $$$. The Diamante is a bit smoother riding & lighter but IMHO not as durable. Vittoria's lower priced Zaffiro Pro is durable and long-wearing but not as smooth and sharp handling as the RP.

I'm a 4500mi/yr non-racer, but would (respectfully) disagree with Mr. Grumpy. After much experimentation I think tires DO matter. I have had bad luck with multiple sidewall cuts/blow outs with Conti's, and wife had 2 Kenda's with rubber separating from their casings. I'm done with those 2 companies. Specialized Mondo Pro's have been durable enough for me, but handling seems slightly twitchy & rolling resistance is not great for the $$. I recently got some Michelin ProRace2 (close-outs) but too soon to render an opinion.
OK Mr Grumpy I confess- I do take the odd turn at 30mph so maybe we don't disagree after all ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Michelin Lithion. good training tire. i cant remember if i'v'e flatted it or not yet (only running it in the rear at the moment) but i dont think i have. i actually ran over a nail on the way to work and luckily it went though in and out of the top of the tire, didnt puncture the tube, so i just pulled hte nail out. i think the lithions are one of the better training/durable tires out there that still have some performance (not too heavy, still grippy, etc)

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
The best tires I have ridden on a performance roadbike as defined by durable, comfortable, good traction and good looking are.......

Vredestein Fortezza - about $35
Maxxis Refuse - about $25

I cannot recommend either Conti or Michelin Pro series based on my experience. Both cut or wear too easily.
Panaracer wear like iron, but ride like crap.

·
Registered
177 Posts
david462 said:
Michelin Lithion. good training tire. i cant remember if i'v'e flatted it or not yet (only running it in the rear at the moment) but i dont think i have. i actually ran over a nail on the way to work and luckily it went though in and out of the top of the tire, didnt puncture the tube, so i just pulled hte nail out. i think the lithions are one of the better training/durable tires out there that still have some performance (not too heavy, still grippy, etc)
If you like the Lithions, may I also suggest the Carbons. They have a bit higher TPI casing (127 vs 60 on the Lithions), and have a different puncture protector. The Lithion's protector is just under the bead where the Carbon's go from bead to bead covering the sidewall, which is a good thing if you are prone to sidewall cuts.

Both are GREAT training tires but with the added TPI and puncture protector, the Carbons will set you back 8-10 bucks more per tire.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
The hard facts: there's not enough difference between equivalent price point tires from the leading makers to make a choice based on performance. You'll find advocates for every brand, and people reporting bad experiences with every brand. Choose based on color and price. :)
but...but...but....:D

For me it's what I get used to. I've been running Contis for years--the high end ones are great, but wear fast. The low end ones ride harsh and can't corner at speed nearly as well, but the wear is better. Usually the choice of a tire is a compromise between durability and ride quality. Trying a Gatorskin Ultra next. Some say these are a good middle ground, but I haven't used them yet. I love the ride of the GP4000s, but I don't get too many miles--especially from the rear tire.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
IME, after 2 sets of GP4000 I am going back to Michelin Krylions. GP4000 sidewalls are relatively weak and they cut too easy. Otherwise GP4000 is good tire and lasts a long time, grips OK too, but their puncture protection and sidewalls are not as good as I would like. Every time I ride on wet roads I either get punctures caused by glass or embedded glass, ready to puncture (I clean them out after the ride). Krylions are more puncture resistant and I dont race and I dont corner fast either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm using Michelin Lithions to train on, at 96psi rear & 92psi front ( I'm 155 lb). No punctures after 650km, good grip.
Race on Michelin Pro Race 2s. Very good performance, just a bit lighter. Nw P R 3s are supposed to have better puncture resistance.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It is all a matter of opion but my opion is all that matters! ;?)

Conti's are the best! I have run them on and off, for the most part on for the last 20 years or so. the GP' are great, the last a long time 1000 to 1500 and don't cut that easily.

for the past 2 years I've been using Conti's force and attack and feel they are the best yet.

I do like Vitts Open Road Corsa but they cut easier, wear faster and are heavier, so it is Conti's for me1

Ray

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up with a set of Specialized Mondo S-Works as the shop did not have the greatest selection. My riding buddies swear by their Mondo Pros as far as flat protection. I can feel that they are a slower tire than the Conti 4000S but they are also more comfortable. I run 100 psi front and rear and weight 152 lbs. Next, I am going to try some of the Michelins you guys have suggested. The 4000S are really nice tires and sure are fast, but I need a little bit more flat protection I think.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
raymonda said:
It is all a matter of opion but my opion is all that matters! ;?)

Conti's are the best! I have run them on and off, for the most part on for the last 20 years or so. the GP' are great, the last a long time 1000 to 1500 and don't cut that easily.

Ray
1000-1500mi .... that's about right, right bang in the middle of that range is about what i got outta mine... that's s'posed to be a lot? the serious riders in my club put that on in a month, and its a student team.... those tires retail for like $100 each over here... $200 bux per mth is an awful lot to students! - i guess that's where the subjective opinion comes in ! :D

i get at least 50% more life outta a rubino pro, that i can get online, or from a LBS here, for around $25 ea... more than that, the flat protection has been awesome.... i flatted once on the normal rubinos (big thorn), and these set of rubino pros have not flatted.... so that's once in close to 7k kms...

·
dropped!
485 Posts
broken glass everywhere, people pissing on the stairs, you know they just don't care

i have michelin lithions as a training wheel. i've pinch flatted twice after hitting potholes, and flatted another time from glass in around 700 miles. i like them, but it's my opinion that they cut too easily. my tires are have many, many cuts. perhaps it's the area where i live in, big cities have lot's of broken glass.

i'm going to put on a rubino pro on the back as a replacement. i'll report back her after a few hundred miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.