1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Low traffic? In Greece, near 104? Not on your life. :yikes: That junction of I-390 and NY-104 is the most heavily-trafficked area of the whole darned county.

I moved from that part of town 15 years ago, before I began cycling. I don't know the roads around there as a cyclist, other than to say I avoid it. Did my best to avoid it as a driver too, although I understand it's better since 104 was reconstructed.

I do know a guy who commutes through there. He works in Kodak Park. He uses the Route 390 Trail, which terminates right near your hotel. You may want to use that as your launch point, heading north towards the lake.

North of Latta Rd (NY18) things get thin enough that I can enjoy riding. The Route 390 Trail's northern terminus is at the Lake Ontario State Parkway trail. From there, the many routes around the ponds along with Edgemere Drive and Beach Ave are all very nice roads with low traffic and adequate shoulders.

We're a little late in the year for watching the sun rise over the lake, but you can still catch it rising over the ponds.

Alternatively, if you can drive to someplace to begin and end your ride, I'd be happy to email you some of my club's ride maps. PM me your address if you like.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
I sent you some of our club's PDF maps.

There is also a color-coded bike map of the county. Major roads are rated as good, fair or poor choices for cycling. I'm in general agreement with the coding on the roads I've ridden.

http://www.gtcmpo.org/Bike_Map/BikeMapInfo.htm

There's a list of LBSs where you can pick up a paper copy in town, and a link to the online PDFs. You'll be staying in area A on the one side, and area F fringing on area E on the other.

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts