Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got some michelin pro3 tires from PBK great deal! :D
and on the back of the box shows this chart.. suggested Psi...
shows like,. ur weight and the Psi u shud be at..
im about 125lbs... and it shows that i shud pump it up to about 100 ish psi
currently im running continentals.. some cheap tires.. and i pump it up to 115psi..
question is.. shud i listen to the box? and go down to 100psi? would that be more efficient? faster?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
I would stick with what the engineers a Michelin recommend. Tire pressure is yet ANOTHER one of those debatable til you turn blue in the face subjects in cycling. Personally my tires don't go above 105-110 tops. I like the feel and comfort in that range.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I'm now running 25mm Conti 4000 (chili) tires.. Right off the bat I started with 110psi per wheel.. I've tried 100, 105, 110, and 115.. Right now I'm pretty much very happy with 107ish.. (pump up to 110 and while pulling off adapter I lose a little..)

At this pressure the tire doesn't deform much but is super cushy and still fast. I prefer comfort over harsh any day!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
daivs_T said:
so i just got some michelin pro3 tires from PBK great deal! :D
and on the back of the box shows this chart.. suggested Psi...
shows like,. ur weight and the Psi u shud be at..
im about 125lbs... and it shows that i shud pump it up to about 100 ish psi
currently im running continentals.. some cheap tires.. and i pump it up to 115psi..
question is.. shud i listen to the box? and go down to 100psi? would that be more efficient? faster?
this has got to be one of the most beat-to-death subjects on the forum. but, since michelin undoubtedly employs some very intelligent engineer types, and they've been nice enough to give you their highly educated recommendations, i really have to wonder...what is so hard about looking at the chart, pumping the tires up and seeing if you like them at that pressure. then...if you don't like the way they work...you could...get ready...EXPERIMENT a little yourself and see what happens.
i know forums are for asking questions and getting answers...but c'mon...show a little initiative.
sorry, rant over. enjoy your new tires, i think they're really nice.

and it's spelled "should"

·
Registered
429 Posts
The ideal tire PSI will vary according to road conditions and what kind of riding you're doing, i.e. on a relaxed slow ride over rough roads you would want to use a moderately lower pressure than recommended to damp out more of the road buzz, and for a time trial on super-smooth roads you'd want the tires at max recommended pressure or even a little higher.

At 125 lbs I highly doubt you'd run the risk of pinch flatting at about 90 psi front and rear. Run the back higher than the front (for me at 150 lbs, I usually have 105 rear and 95-100 front).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Depends on your weight and the tire width. IMO most riders inflate their tires way too much. I know guys that weigh 145# who inflate their tires to 125#. Sheesh!
I'm a clyde who usually uses 25mm tires. I usually have 90-95 psi in the front and 105-110 in the rear. After a certain point the rolling resistance actually increases with tire pressure. A tire inflated to 125psi will actually have MORE rolling resistance than one inflated to 105psi.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
As already stated, I would go with the PSI the Michelin Engineers recommend for your Weight and Tire.
Use that as a starting point and THEN, modify slightly to accommodate your riding style and terrain.
I also think IMO, a lot of folks inflate their tires way too high, expecting a magical reduction in rolling resistance with increased PSI.
John

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Second what crispy and others have said - I'm 150 lbs / 105 in the back 100 in the front. Higher tire pressure hasn't been proven to have an advantage as it creates more rolling resistance.

Further the lower pressure = less flats as the tire is more resilient going over objects.

I've been using Michelins Pro 2's with some 3's waiting in the wings) for the better part of four years and get great durability from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts