Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally did it.
after two years of riding a undersized bike I finally caved in and bought a KHS flite 747. Granted, at 6'8 and 310
(I'm built like a linebacker, I think my prime weight is around 280)
I'm probably still a wee bit oversized for it.

Other than basic changes I might make for fit. (different Seatpost or a new stem)

I'm curious if anyone might have suggestions for what they would consider upgrading. (like a better chain, which I've snapped before on other bikes.)

KHS Bicycles :: Flite 747

Thanks guys

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
It has a KMC X10 chain. That's a good chain, I wouldn't change it. Actually, I wouldn't change anything beyond what might need to be changed for fit as you mentioned. The other components are fine.

Okay, maybe wider tires (28mm) and clipless pedals. Tires aren't necessary but for your weight they would probably be more comfortable. Pedals would probably be the first thing I would change.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,761 Posts
I agree on the brake pads...first thing I do on my bikes is throw the original pads in the garbage (especially Tektros!) and put some salmon Kool Stops on.

Other than that, nothing. Just ride until something breaks. :)

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Do you have some bike shorts? Once you start using them, you will never consider gym shorts. Next would be some clipless pedals and shoes. They make a big difference and are actually safer than toe clips once you get used to them. I commute a lot, so I like mountian bike pedals. The cleats are recessed, offering easier walking around. Plus, most of them engage on either side of the pedal.

I have never experienced Tektro brakes, but I commonly hear that they work a lot better with after market brake pads. Swapping brake pads costs around $20 and you can do it yourself really easily (all you need is a hex wrench). Sounds like a sensible upgrade.

The tires are 700x26, which is pretty wide already. I'd stick with them, and as Girchy says, just ride the thing until something breaks.

Hopefully, it'll warm up soon ...

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I think you made a really good choice for your new bike, congrats!

The 105 group is good. I agree with the others; clipless pedals, maybe some rugged 28s like Gatorskins (when the stock tires wear out), better brake pads and you'll probably want to upgrade the saddle once you've ridden it for a while.

Otherwise I'd just ride it and replace/upgrade things as they wear out.

Oh yeah, good shoes and shorts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.