Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. For the past few years, I've transported my bike in the back of my pickup. This Friday, I am getting a Toyota Camry. I would like your suggestions of what bike rack I should get and where I should get it. I am looking for something economical (I am cheap-hee hee) and something that is easy to use. Please either email me or post here with suggestions. Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Definitely Thule.

dariow said:
Howdy folks. For the past few years, I've transported my bike in the back of my pickup. This Friday, I am getting a Toyota Camry. I would like your suggestions of what bike rack I should get and where I should get it. I am looking for something economical (I am cheap-hee hee) and something that is easy to use. Please either email me or post here with suggestions. Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Solid as a rock, lockable, etc.

I've had three sets of Thule racks since 95. Loved all of them.

If you're wondering: 1 got sold with my VW Golf, the second went to my ex- when I traded in her/our car, the third is hanging in my garage waiting for me to decide whether to put it on my new BMW or just buy another truck.

I'd stick with the fork mounts 'cause they're a little less likely to have bikes stolen if the thief has to go buy a new front wheel...

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hitch Bike Racks

I went down to REI to check out bike racks, and the salesman suggested a hitch rack. What do you folks think about those? I have a 2000 Camry. I guess the rack will need to fit a 1-¼ inch hitch.

Any suggestions of what rack to get and where to get it? Best deal?

Where should I get the hitch?

Life was so much simpler when I had my pickup. J

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Anything but a receiver mount...

will scratch your car. If the cars paint is a major concideration, get a hitch mount.

I have a roof rack on my Camry (1994) and love it. Bikes stays quite clean up there and I can haul 4 of them when the need arises. I do have to learn not to drive into the garage with a bike loaded though.

TF

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Look at a Saris Bat Rack

if you are going to go for a hitch mount. They make both 1 1/4" and 2" versions. My Saris is solid as a rock and will hold 4 bikes with ease. I drive a Tahoe, btw. So a little different than a Camry. If you get a hitch rack, make sure you get a locking cable to go with it.

Saris makes a trunk rack with essentially the same bike attachment mechanism too. It might be a little easier to remove than a roof mounted rack.

As for where to buy, your LBS will have them, although they will probably be full list price. Check all the online bike shops and ebay for deals. There will be some on the web that are less expensive, but since they are so large, the savings over your LBS might get eaten up in shipping.

Just curious why you got rid of the truck for a Camry? Sounds suspiciously like a family induced decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.