Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: This is a bit long. If you want the short version, skip to the end. Thanks for taking the time to look and help out if you can.

I've been reading a lot of the threads here to try and help me figure out what I should do. I am new to road biking (coming from mountain biking) and am about ready to get my first set of tires (after the ones that came on my bike from the factory). My bike came with Maxxis Columbiere 700x25. Not having much previous road riding experience I don't have anything to compare them to. I anticipated more flats on road than what I'm used to mountain biking, but these tires have gotten about six flats that I can recall right now, in about 1500 miles. A couple of them have been on the same ride, which was irritating. To me, that seems like a lot of flats. The Maxxis tires have gotten a few little chips and holes in them, like the rubber is too soft or something. I ride pretty much exclusively on pavement, some of which is chipseal. So I want a tire that will have better puncture resistance. Also, my wheels say they are tubless ready, and came with the stems to put on them, so I'm thinking I'd like to try that too possibly, which I'm thinking may also help with the punctures. My wheelset is Reynolds Stratus Pro Disc. My frame says it will fit a 30c tire, so I'm also thinking to try something a bit wider as we are going into the winter months. I've read a lot of positive things about 28c size, so I'm leaning in that direction. It seems like people like the Continental 4 season tire, but I don't know enough about the type of tire I should be looking for. I think I need a clincher tire with a folding bead that is tubless ready. I'm sure many of you out there know much more about this than me. If you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to provide some context.

Basically I'm looking for a great 700x28c tire, folding bead, with excellent puncture resistance, and ability to be used tubless. Thanks again.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The Hutchinson sector 28 is a good tire that many people like, I haven't ridden on the ones I have that much though. Specialized just came out with a tubeless version of their Turbo Pro 28 that looks good, and is a little cheaper than the sector 28, I've liked to clincher version of the turbo pro I've used the last almost year, so I think the tubeless version would be good also, I've liked their tubeless cross tires so far as well.
Adam

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
If you think fixing a flat on a tubed clincher is a hassle, wait for the tubeless flat. Maybe less frequent, but way more ......

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I really like the Hutchinson Sector 28. Mind you: I's so racing that it doesn't hold air without sealant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.