Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions on a good clincher wheelset for climbing in the $750 price range. I'm about 165# and I ride primarily flat to rolling hills. Most of my rides are on fairly decent road surfaces. One route that I frequently ride has some decent grades, 13 to 14 % at around 1 to 2 1/2 miles in length. This is the terrain that I would be using these wheels for, while keeping the originals for all around riding. I don't race at present, but ride some local events and mostly for fitness. There are so many possible choices and every manufacturer claims that they have the best. So, any suggestions or nudges in the right direction would help me a lot.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
You can get a set made my Ligero, Ergott (both on this BBS), Mike Garcia (Odds and Endos), or other builders that meet all your requirements while being lighter than you might think and comfortably under the $750 you spec'd.

Ligero built me a wheelset--Alex Crostini R31/3.2 rims, Sapim CX-Ray spokes 24 2x front and 28 2x/3x rear, White Industries H1 hubs--that weighs in at 1380g. They are stout, every day, any road surface wheels. FWIW, I weigh 175lbs. Ligero can be found here, Ergott here, and Mike Garcia here.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
I only know two of the above mention builders. Mike Garcia has had a long very good track record. I have a wheelset by Ligero and they are suberb. 1279 grams with Sapim CXRay spokes laced two a cross to Tune hubs and Alex Crostini 3.1 rims.

You can read more about my build here!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Climbing wheels?

It sounds to me like you might be better served spending for some slighty more towards Aero wheels than pure climbing wheels. Rollers (if that is what you'll be riding most, like you say) don't reward ultralight wheels as much. Some of the tests that have been published all over (I know, these 'tests' are all a bunch of crap, according to some on this forum) seem to find that ultimate light weight is not as important on rolling hills as an aero rim section. My own 'saddle-power meter' makes me believe that. I have some heavier Spinergy aero carbon clinchers that I sometimes ride on flattish rolling crappy road training rides, rather than my good wheels. When you pick em up, they seem heavy, but on the bike, they carry the speed right up the hills and down the other side better than my mountain wheels.
Now, on a longer sustained climb, where your speed goes way down and stays there for an hour or two, overall light weight probably works a lot better than an aero section..duh! And, strangely enough, most big climbs are usually windy and gusty, making tall section aero wheels more difficult to ride, too.
My particular set up is some Zipp 3's, tubular, most big climb days, but on really windy (or wet) climbing days, I substitute a Nimble (Nimble is on the web) spider clincher on the front with a 28mm rim height to further help with gusts and to get most of my braking done without trashing the Zipps or making them really hot..
There are probably as many opinions on wheels as there are on.....oh, say motor oil...
Don Hanson

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rolf Elan Aero

Pros: Approx 1300g (supreemely light fo alu), sapim spokes, excellent hubs, stiff and strong.

Cons: braking at slow speed slightly shuddery on front wheel but not at all dangerous and anomily dies off once warn in. Expensive here in UK (but probably a good deal in the US!)
Some view twinned spoking design counteracts any aero advantage over standard box rim.

I also ride Bontrager Race-X- Lite Aeros (@1700g) and certainly notice a huge difference in weight both on flats and of course on the hills when I replace them with the Rolfs.

Have ridden the Elans a little too much this past season but are as good as new (use them in the Dolomite Granfondos) spoiling myself with these excellent wheels that are great for the mountains. Should use the Bontragers for training rides and the Rolfs for racing only!

I am a light rider - 128lb.

hope this helps:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's at a LBS today. $800.00 for the set. A friend of mine runs them and swears by them. I'm going to contact those custom builders mentioned by Alienator and get some suggestions as well. Thanks for the help.

·
Well-read hooligan
118 Posts
alienator said:
You can get a set made my Ligero, Ergott (both on this BBS), Mike Garcia (Odds and Endos), or other builders that meet all your requirements while being lighter than you might think and comfortably under the $750 you spec'd.

Ligero built me a wheelset--Alex Crostini R31/3.2 rims, Sapim CX-Ray spokes 24 2x front and 28 2x/3x rear, White Industries H1 hubs--that weighs in at 1380g. They are stout, every day, any road surface wheels. FWIW, I weigh 175lbs. Ligero can be found here, Ergott here, and Mike Garcia here.
Alienator, thanks for putting these together in one post ...

Note to self - save link for forwarding.

Good work man.

·
Registered
238 Posts
rbr classifieds!

keep an eye on rbr classifieds.

i got a great deal on a set of dt swiss 240 hub/dt 1.1 rims 32 spoke with campy cassette, and tires and tubes for under $300. great guy/seller and i'm totally pleased with them so far.

john

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.