Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at used bikes, and I have my eye on a Trek 5200. However, I'm still trying to learn all the differences in the Trek line, and I'm open to other models.

I'm looking for a Trek that is light (<20lbs), mid-grade components and preferably a CF frame.

I'm open to any year from 2003 upward.

I'm looking to spend around $1200 out the door or less.

That's the criteria, I'd appreciate any suggestions (Madone perhaps?)

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
In your price range a 5200 in the 03-04 year range is about right. The 5900 frame is a bit lighter and has Dura-Ace components but is hard to find in your price range. (It can be done, as I found mine that cheap) In 2004 they made the 5900 and introduced the Madone, so you could get either that year.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The 5200 and 5500 has the famous and proven 120 OCLV frame. The difference between the 5500 and the 5200 is the 5200 uses Ultegra while the 5500 uses Dura Ace. The 5900 uses 110 carbon which is even lighter. It also employs Dura Ace as it's drivetrain. The Madone used the 110 but with a more aero frame design. It was actually a little heavier than the 5900 but like most aero wheels, the aerodynamic benefits outweighed the additional weight of the aero design. This bike was actually faster than the 5900 when ridden both were ridden by the same rider. In all honesty, they are all good bikes. Also, the Trek 5000 was available back then with 105 components if you don't mind having a really good bike with great components for probably less than a G. The pre-'07 5000 also had the same 120 OCLV as the 5200 and 5500.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation of the differences. I've raised my budget...I'd decided that I want at least Ultegra components, so I've upped my budget to $1700 or so, with the knowledge that I can prob find a nice 5500 for a little bit less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.