Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking to purchase a cyclometer computer for my cyclocross bike. I've done some research and the reviews are mixed. All I want is a basic hassle free unit, I would prefer wireless so long as it doesn't lead to problems. Been looking at the Cateye Micro Wireless, Specialized Speedzone and the Sigma unit. It will have to be durable as the bike goes off road.

Any suggestions?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Personally, I look for one with a BIG - easy-to-read-uncomplicated display. Large, easy-to-manipulate-with-gloves-on buttons are also preferable. And just the basic functions, please. I don't need cadence, altitude, wind direction, temperature, humidity, or rectal temperature. I've got a heavy duty Vetta. It's all right. I haven't had any probs with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a cateye velo 5 that i have never had any problems with. It is the most basic of the basic. It isn't wireless but a short wire from handlebars to the front wheel isn't that big of an eyesore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Sigma sport 1200 wireless on my CX bike and it's worked fine on and off road for the last 2 years.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
I ride wireless and seldom have problems, but....

I usually pronounce it 'Whyerless.'

It's more expensive to buy, and to feed batteries. Not much, but still.
While it doesn't usually have problems, it can, and they're entirely avoidable with the wire.
It'd be heavier than an equivalent wired unit.

The only gain seems to be a few style points. If that's what's important to you, buy wireless. If cheap and reliable are further up the scale, a wired unit will probably serve better. There are plenty of good choices out there, I've always had good luck with Cateyes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Planet Bike Protoge 8...

it's got nice, simple controls. The big screen has 3 handy display modes you just cycle through- simple. Oh, easy to set up. I've had it in a lot of rainstorms with no problem so far. I think the set up is much cleaner than wireless... good but cheap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Coming from a Polar computer w/wireless cadence, altimeter, and odometer which I could never get to work consistently... I'm a big fan of the Cateye Mity 8 w/wire, under $30 even at an LBS, plus you can get different mounting (stem and aerobar) kits from Performance, it is very reliable and only takes one battery... best of all I saw on cyclingnews that some pros use it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.